Praxis wide range casette durability

txz201

Maybe also consider your shifting patterns. Some people shift at the worst times and put the alloy teeth under pressure. Also consider your chainline.

My lady rides with one of these and hers is perfect. That being said she rides softly and never has a bad chain angle.

Glad to see andre stepping up and investigating. Great service as usual.

These cassettes will be used predominately with a 1x setup so chainline will not be an issue or controllable.

I do agree on the shifting etiquette, see more and more guys trying to shift down 6,7,8 gears at the foot of a climb having not read the trail and anticipated the climb. This is generally followed by a horrendous grinding sound which can only end badly.

Not saying this is the OPs case. Just saying.

Spoke to Andre from rush sports this morning, he said that there have been a small number of customers with the same issue but nothing serious, the new cassette is on its way to my LBS, I must say a big thanks to rush sport for the stellar service!

The teeth don't look terribly worn but the snapped off teeth will definitely cause issues. Can only think the snapped teeth is from changing gears under pressure but there's plenty other cassettes that use aluminum for the last 2 or 3 cogs and I haven't heard of the teeth snapping off as being a problem at all and for that matter can't recall of front alu chain ring teeth being snapped off by the chain other than hitting rocks etc?

What did the Rush Sports guys say might have been the issue?

• 3 months later...

That sucks, was looking into one of these, guess I'll just HTFU on my 11-36 and at least ride it for 3000km ... :blush:

The XT cassette is also a combo of alu and steel, so no sure what the diffs here is.

That sucks, was looking into one of these, guess I'll just HTFU on my 11-36 and at least ride it for 3000km ... :blush:

The XT cassette is also a combo of alu and steel, so no sure what the diffs here is.

The difference is chain wear. Look after your chain and replace it in time and your cassette will last at least 3 chains.

Let your chain get past 0.5% elngation and you can throw your cassette and chainring as well.

The difference is chain wear. Look after your chain and replace it in time and your cassette will last at least 3 chains.

Let your chain get past 0.5% elngation and you can throw your cassette and chainring as well.

This, it is true.

Also no amount of new chains and superb maintenance will protect a drivetrain ridden in serious mud, if you ride the mud with reckless abandon be prepared to fork out prematurely.

More referring to the difference in the 2 cassettes, both being a combo of alu and steel, one losing teeth like that.

More referring to the difference in the 2 cassettes, both being a combo of alu and steel, one losing teeth like that.

Alu in a 10spd XT cassette is only in the spider/s. All the gears are steel. On the Praxis cassette the two largest gears are alu

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I used the Kalbo kit (40t, 16t) on a standard SRAM 11-36 cassette and so far I have had no issues.

Doesn't matter. Cassette wear is caused by chain wear, no matter the material.

Doesn't matter. Cassette wear is caused by chain wear, no matter the material.

Logically enough yes!

Archived