Tubeless Conversion for a newbie

Wayneman

My girlfriend had the same bike. Did the whole conversion for R1200 with Crossmarks

Please make a video for our viewing pleasure if you cant get it right. It will either go smoothly or you might wanna learn some new swear words.

Wurth tape is also a suggestion. No problems in two years using this tape @ R20/roll. At this price you can put two or three layers on. Works for me.

This tape that you guys speak about - is it a special tape from a bike shops, or can it be purchased form a builders warehouse or similar hardware shop?

what sort of specifications does this tape need to conform to ?

This tape that you guys speak about - is it a special tape from a bike shops, or can it be purchased form a builders warehouse or similar hardware shop?

what sort of specifications does this tape need to conform to ?

Stan's has their own bike-specific rim tape. You can buy it online or at a bike shop. Stan's is great as it has a very smooth surface, which reduces any friction between the tyre bead and rim when seating a tyre. 

Some people use tape such as Gorilla tape as a makeshift way to create an airtight seal on the rim. It is generally a cheaper option, in comparison to bike-specific rim tape.

This is my first post of the forum so Im hoping the gurus can please give some advise.....

Im in the process of buying a new MTB - my first one since my school days over 20 years ago.

It seems the latest and greatest thing is to convert to the tubeless setup.

I have seen a few videos on YouTube and it seems simple enough to convert.

I have replaced my fair share of tyres and tubes in my youth so Im hopeful all goes well.

Can anyone give advise and recommendations on this conversion.

And what conversion kits can you recommend, and do I also need to use that liquid in the tyres to prevent leaks.

Happy days ahead - cant wait to get riding again soon.

I Had a quick check on marida 's website, if your XT comes spec'd as on the web you can simply add a tubless valve and Tape and stans and you are good to go, 

If it was me id simply tell the Shop to do that for me or ill buy my bike somewhere else, 

Archived