Giant 142x12 thru axle conversion

BattleScar

Compliments of the season to all the hubbers  ^_^

This is my question to all the more knowledgeable guys.

I have a Giant Trance 2 2014 with a set of AC Wide Lightenings. The wheels comes with all the bits to make the wheel compatible with a thru-axle (I am currently running it QR). From what I have read on the net and saw on youtube, you do get a dropout conversion kit and axle to convert the Trance to 142x12 provided that you hubs are compatible.

After calling two well known bike shops in Cape Town, I was left a bit perplexed. The one shop told me they can get the conversion kit and axle but its only for 2016 model bikes. When I told them what I saw on the net they quickly changed there story. The second store told me that the kit is not compatible with my 2014 trance as my dropouts are is made for QR only. :huh:  

Further investigation showed that the kit and axle is compatible with all 27.5 giant frames. But I could only find them on international bike shop websites. The dropout kit is quite cheap but the axle is expensive.

So is my trance compatible or not? And where does one get the dropout conversion and axle in Cape Town or even South Africa? Or is there any alternatives?

I added some pics of my bikes current dropouts.

Thanks in advance.

post-79503-0-76305900-1452531684_thumb.jpg

post-79503-0-71765800-1452531698_thumb.jpg

post-79503-0-23322600-1452531713_thumb.jpg

post-79503-0-75248100-1452531720_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need the conversion kit. The kits did not ship with the bikes. You'll need to order the kit. Which shops have you tried?

Just enquired from my LBS and awaiting a quote. I have a 2015 model though but it should work.

Send me a PM and I'll forward the price and shop details when they send the price.

You need the conversion kit. The kits did not ship with the bikes. You'll need to order the kit. Which shops have you tried?

I have tried Olympic cycles, CWC and the Giant concept store. They have the dropout kit but not the axle in stock.

Just enquired from my LBS and awaiting a quote. I have a 2015 model though but it should work.

Send me a PM and I'll forward the price and shop details when they send the price.

Thanks Steven. I will send you a pm right away.

I have tried Olympic cycles, CWC and the Giant concept store. They have the dropout kit but not the axle in stock.

Ok yes the axle is the proprietary bit. Don't know why giant decided to use their own thread but there you have it.

From your pics it appears the drop outs are removable and similar to that fitted to a 2015 trance.

I wish someone would make an aftermarket drop out kit with a standard 142 x 12 axle thread so we can use any thru axle

I did the conversion but had to get the kit and axel from Australia as nobody in RSA had stock

If you are stuck I have a Shimano axel for you with the correct thread which is Giant proprietary thread if you indeed have the dropouts and nut

Phone or Whatsapp me on 0828820171

Steve

I have an axel for you 0828820171

Steve

I did the conversion but had to get the kit and axel from Australia as nobody in RSA had stock

If you are stuck I have a Shimano axel for you with the correct thread which is Giant proprietary thread if you indeed have the dropouts and nut

Phone or Whatsapp me on 0828820171

Steve

Thanks a million. Let see if I can source the axle locally first. If not then I will drop you a message by month end.

Hi, I got a conversion kit for the 27.5 anthem it fits on the trance swell.

Comes complete with the dropout and axle paid R800.00 for it, ask the giant agents to order it for you. There is a part number for it.

Comes complete with the dropout and axle paid R800.00 for it, ask the giant agents to order it for you. There is a part number for it.

Wow, that's seems cheap. The axle alone is that price on the sites that I visited.

I did the conversion.

Got the dropouts for 2014 2015 and 2016 should also be the same.

As well as the Trance, Anthem etc of the same year..

and then got the axle. The axle was sourced for me by Cajees...

this will help...

FOR ALL TO SHARE!!!

The dropouts are the hanger set, to upgrade you will need to order 142X12 dropouts from your LBS part number: 1280gs834609b1

The 142X12 DT Swiss Giant QR axle is part number: 1529gdtrws402

270000000 DERAILLEUR HANGER 142/12 UPGRADE KIT
300000003 RWS REAR SKEWER FOR 5 X 135MM DROPOUTS

post-51814-0-31916100-1452576507_thumb.jpg

post-51814-0-77117300-1452576507_thumb.jpg

Edited by s14phoenix

• 1 month later...

Hey Richard, where did you get it from ??

Hi guys. Very long shot but my 2012 XTC composite frame cannot convert to 142x12 as well?

I'd love to do that. Have my 2014 Trance  converted and I'm way too noob to notice a difference yet, but I'm just happy it's T/A as I'm quite a heavy guy.