Rear wheel removal

B1cyk1ll3r

Could someone please explain how to remove this wheel? Forgive me, never worked with anything like this! Im still new and learning!

post-37545-0-47415500-1453877159_thumb.jpg

post-37545-0-01653700-1453877160_thumb.jpg

Not sure but from the looks of the first picture you stick an allen key in the centre shaft and loosen the lock nut on the outside and then the nut on the non drive side should be loose, Remove it and i would guess the shaft slides?screws out? If someone who has this system can give you more info that would be better but if not try the above.

Not sure but from the looks of the first picture you stick an allen key in the centre shaft and loosen the lock nut on the outside and then the nut on the non drive side should be loose, Remove it and i would guess the shaft slides?screws out? If someone who has this system can give you more info that would be better but if not try the above.

Thanks! So this is a abnormal system?

wild guess and judging by the colour only ... a Yeti ?

Haha sorry, its a Morewood. 

Not abnormal, just a never system, instead of having an arm for the release you do it with a alankey, all the pro's ride like that, lighter as no extra metal for the arm i guess. But yes you need your multitool to remove. Seen it a few times at the world cup races.

Also no kid can walk past your bike and take your wheel out without a tool.

Hear that people have stolen thru-axles at races before.

I wouldn't say abnormal, Just because I haven't seen it before doesn't mean its rare. You say its a morewood, They usually DH and trail bikes? maybe a standard skewer system isn't strong enough for the extra stresses the a DH bike goes through.

No wonder i don't win the Lotto... I suck at guess work :P 

Not abnormal, just a never system, instead of having an arm for the release you do it with a alankey, all the pro's ride like that, lighter as no extra metal for the arm i guess. But yes you need your multitool to remove. Seen it a few times at the world cup races.

Also no kid can walk past your bike and take your wheel out without a tool.

Hear that people have stolen thru-axles at races before.

Correct, It happened recently at one of the popular stage races. I think there was still a thread about it because one guy had a broken seat clamp or something and one guy had the stolen axle. He lent his clamp to the other guy because he couldn't get a new axle.(cant remember exactly if that's how it went)

It looks to me like its working on a similar concept to the old hubs with unsealed ball bearings.

no. Very far off the mark. 

It's simply a 12mm thru axle with an allen key head rather than a lever. 

Used to aid clearance in tight, rocky spaces, and to prevent people from just whipping them off. Has nothing to do with the types of bearing in the hub, though normally the thru axle hubs run on sealed bearings. 

Correct, It happened recently at one of the popular stage races. I think there was still a thread about it because one guy had a broken seat clamp or something and one guy had the stolen axle. He lent his clamp to the other guy because he couldn't get a new axle.(cant remember exactly if that's how it went)

In another incident, One oke had left his bike in one of the pause areas, and came back to find it missing his thru axle at the rear. Had to magafter a 12mm threaded rod (bolt) with a ny-lock nut to get it running again. 

no. Very far off the mark. 

It's simply a 12mm thru axle with an allen key head rather than a lever. 

Used to aid clearance in tight, rocky spaces, and to prevent people from just whipping them off. Has nothing to do with the types of bearing in the hub, though normally the thru axle hubs run on sealed bearings. 

What he said!

Axle looks like this.

http://www.bike-discount.de/media/org/orgb_S/orgid_50/thumbs/144110_925973.jpg

Archived