Roval carbon rims - yes or no??

Janus101

Please help. Is it worth buying roval carbon wheels with spesialized hi low hubs. Will it be a good upgrade on what I currently have? I currently have dt swiss rims on slx hubs. Whats a good secondhand price for the roval wheels.

Thanks!

Be more specific. Wheel size and exact model including spoke count and axle type. Both DT and Roval make different sizes and models so nobody can really help you without ALL the info.

As a generalisation, a lot of the Roval wheelsets have only 24 spokes front and 28 rear so if you are a big heavy guy and it is a 29er wheel size and you ride hard.....durability could be an issue.

firstly, they're kaaaaaak expensive. As a first choice with carbon rims, I'm always going to Light Bicycle. Chinese operation, but with a very large following the world over, and a very good replacement policy from what I've seen (IF something goes wrong)

secondly, they allow you to build using a selection of hubs. Novatec, Hope, etc etc. 

Well worth having a look at them, or the guys that v12man uses. I forget their name, but they're just as good. 

I run the carbon roval control sl. Really enjoy them.

Im around the 80kg mark and ride hard. Theses wheels havent given me any issues.

Chose them cause i kept bending the alu rims.

The occasional spoke needs to be replaced and the bearings in the hubs arent the most durable, other than that havent had any issues with them i like them as they are claimed to come in at 1370g.

Might be wrong but most Chinese carbon sets come in at around 1500g mark ?

I've seen a couple sets of the rovals 2nd hand around the 10k mark.

I run the carbon roval control sl. Really enjoy them.

Im around the 80kg mark and ride hard. Theses wheels havent given me any issues.

Chose them cause i kept bending the alu rims.

The occasional spoke needs to be replaced and the bearings in the hubs arent the most durable, other than that havent had any issues with them i like them as they are claimed to come in at 1370g.

Might be wrong but most Chinese carbon sets come in at around 1500g mark ?

I've seen a couple sets of the rovals 2nd hand around the 10k mark.

Yeha, depends on the hubs and spokes for any additional gains. I've seen rims for ~ 370g or so per rim, but as soon as you start going lower than that for a rim, it starts bringing in some issues re strength unless the layup is exceptional. I'd far rather go for a rim that is in the 450g range and have a bit more stiffness and strength than "save" 80g per rim and have something I don't trust.

firstly, they're kaaaaaak expensive. As a first choice with carbon rims, I'm always going to Light Bicycle. Chinese operation, but with a very large following the world over, and a very good replacement policy from what I've seen (IF something goes wrong)

secondly, they allow you to build using a selection of hubs. Novatec, Hope, etc etc.

Well worth having a look at them, or the guys that v12man uses. I forget their name, but they're just as good.

Xmcarbonspeed - got some great products - and Peter is great to deal with - super responsive.

And I do own a set of Rovals... riding these in preference.

I actually own 3 sets of rovals -only 1 of those is carbon.

I'm riding on YishunBike wheels. They're the only ones which have a similar strength to the Light-Bicycle ones which is roughly 120-130kg weight limit. Pretty bulletproof. They also offer a number of hub options, DTSwiss, Chosen and Novatec. I'm rolling on the Chosen hubs (they didn't offer DT when I bought, and the Chosen are straightpull which look sexier than the JBend Novatecs), so far bombproof and sound very lekker. 

Xmcarbonspeed - got some great products - and Peter is great to deal with - super responsive.

And I do own a set of Rovals... riding these in preference.

I actually own 3 sets of rovals -only 1 of those is carbon.

I'm also in the market for carbon wheels. Which one of the Xmcarbonspeed wheelsets did you go for?

Interesting, how does that work, how do you get the nipple in the rim?

Small magnet from a telescopic magnetic picker - covered in tape and some bits of magnetic spokes - doesn't take much longer than ordinary rims surprisingly - harder on the fingers though.

Also look at these cool local rims from South Industries:

http://www.southindustries.cc

Handgemaak in Somerset Wes deur Stephan, 'n ex-aerospace carbon ou.

Remember to ask what the copper washers you must use in the build weigh.... #justsaying

Archived