Zero to Sani 2016

MrsSlowbee

A quick nutrition question: I dont really eat carbs as part of my day to day diet (unless it comes in the form of chocolate!) - can I get away with eating fruit as my carb intake for training? Is that enough to replace glycogen stores? 

Thanks all for your encouragement so far!

So, I am a Noakes follower, mostly.  My experience is that I don't much need food for shorter rides (2h?) but I do take for longer rides, because if you're pushing it a bit, in terms of distance or intensity, it makes it easier and more pleasant - and you're supposed to be enjoying it, right?  

On the bike, take whatever works for you - truth is, what you're looking for is blood glucose, so anything that will turn into that is fine - and that is just about anything that contains carbohydrates.  I find that if I use energy drinks, i don't cramp as much - not sure what that is about, can only assume salt/electrolytes.

Post-long/hard efforts I will make an effort to take in something to help recovery - if you are fat adapted, which you probably are as you don't need supper, it seems less important, but I figure it can't hurt, particularly if it contains some protein to help muscle recovery.

Edited by davetapson

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick nutrition question: I dont really eat carbs as part of my day to day diet (unless it comes in the form of chocolate!) - can I get away with eating fruit as my carb intake for training? Is that enough to replace glycogen stores? When my rides get longer and more intense I will do the post-ride drinks but want to stay away from them as much as possible for now. And no, I am not a Noakes follower - I just dont really like read/pasta/rice etc. I also work odd hours and often get too busy at work to eat so my main/only constant meal of the day is breakfast and an afternoon snack (if I remember to pack it!). Supper doesn't usually happen unless its a week end.  Can I just carry on as I have been or do I have to adjust my eating habits?

Thanks all for your encouragement so far!

I don't think people at Sani worry too much about carbs after the racing day. On Day 2 I have seen a few serious riders have two steaks for supper and not much else. The kitchens there serve normal food, they are farmers.

Eat at much as you can during the ride, any solid food will have some fuel in there somewhere. And they have lots of chocolate at the tables.

I have not tried eating fruit during training, honestly I think you would better off with peanuts and biltong. It has more calories.

Have you tried the caffeine gels? It is nice to have one or two the last hour of the race or ride.

Managed to go down a pretty steep/fast part of single track without touching the brakes 

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Lets make no bones about it. We know we are not that skilled and fast. The plan is to take it easy from the get go and hopefully find ourselves at the back very early on in day 1 (even before we get to the first single track). By day 2, I expect we will be one of the last groups to leave, either M or N. Yes, it might mean less time in the day to ride, but this way there will be less riders around us. Also, less pressure to go "fast" and everyone screaming track track track at us and putting the pressure on to overtake. The climb out the valley will be less congested allowing for a wobbly rider to be all over the place and not worry about straight lines and crashing into others. We can ride at our own pace.

The idea is to be competent at riding on open dirt road (s2c has a fair amount of that), and smooth single track paths. Add to this the ability to just "spin" out the uphills and we should be ok to finish. Even if we walk alot of uphills, if we can ride the flat parts and gentle uphills and still have some energy in the legs then it will be a job well done. I would rather finish thinking we could have gone faster, than finish exhausted. We dont care if it is last or third last, we just want to finish and finish well, in one piece and wanting more, rather than wanting to just go home.

Will look out for you- suspicion we will be in about same groupings...

I don't mind climbs at all, but hate the technical downhill stuff... so working on it...

My mate and I also decided it's no race, we're in the Adventure, and that's what it is... we want to enjoy the adventure and finish each day with enough energy to enjoy the vibe and the experience... we're riding on someone else's ticket and probably not have the chance to do it again...

So we will see you there...

• 3 weeks later...

When you start horse riding they tell you that you can only call yourself a rider after you have had a fall and gotten back on the horse. Well, if the same applies to mountain biking then today I officially became a mountain biker :wacko: . I am learning the lingo too - I "ran out of skill" as they say! Messed up my right arm quite nicely but hopefully no broken bones (will know more tomorrow after rads). 

Pretty bummed as training has been going really well- did a good 60km 2 weeks ago and have been averaging 100km a week (interval and hill training), gaining more confidence by the day (clearly a little too much confidence!). My biceps tendon is sprained so I'll be going back to spending time on the IDT for a while hoping to be all healed up in time for doing our planned 4 passes ride in 2 weeks.

Will keep you posted  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

So as you may have seen on Slowbee's latest post, the ride is off for this year  :mellow: . Its disappointing to say the least as I have never put so much effort into training for anything before and its hard now to find the motivation to keep on training. I am a seriously task driven person so without a definitive goal its hard to stay disciplined. Its taken me a week to get to grips with it but the bright side I am seeing now is that at least I know that I can do this thing, even if it is in a year's time. Who knows, maybe by then I will be able to bunny hop down a slope without wiping out?!

I've decided to keep up the training incase a W2W entry comes up - you never know...!

That's not so good. Sorry :/  I missed why you're not riding, will look for it.

I saw what happened. I recon if slows toe is not bust and just trimmed he will be fine. Don't stop training or sell your entry just yet.