Zero to Sani 2016

MrsSlowbee

Mr Slowbee managed to get me to enter Sani2c 2016 - only one problem, I am used to the kind of riding that propels itself up a hill, the 4 legged equestrian kind. I am not a mountain biker, heck I am not even a cyclist (but I do have one 6 hr Argus under the belt). But someone once told us that you should do one thing every year that challenges you. So I guess this is my one thing (and Mr Slowbee's too, never mind the Munga). 

So here is where we are:

1. I have a (new) bike

2. I started spinning classes 2 x a week since last year.

3. I did Joanna's Biking in the Bosch course 1

4. After a few falls I got a pair of airflex knee and elbow guards and I LOVE them.

5. I did some basic skills training at our local track with coach Slowbee

Fitness training was due to start two weeks ago, but I was a tad too eager and got sick and injured my knee on day one. This was a serious blow to my morale. But nothing a few trips to the physio and a lot of flu meds could not fix. With exactly 13 weeks to go I would be telling a lie if I told you I  was not a bit nervous. 

Please tell me there are others entering who are as crazy as I am !?!

Any tips or advice for a zero to sani newbie to make the most of the next 13 weeks?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please study the RULES.... www.velominati.com

There is a test... :)

And there are several you might wish to memorise and quote at mrslowbee from time to time... (just search the rules for "jackass"...)

Take your cue from the fable of the Hare and the Tortoise,

Slow and steady WILL get you there.

Enjoy !

Oh haai! Was pissed at a party late last year and mate was joking about entering the race. I said I’d join him if he could find entries…. He found entries the next bloody day

My longest MTB ride ever is 70km. I ride a 26” without cleats

What do you rate my chances of finishing?

Oh haai! Was pissed at a party late last year and mate was joking about entering the race. I said I’d join him if he could find entries…. He found entries the next bloody day

My longest MTB ride ever is 70km. I ride a 26” without cleats

What do you rate my chances of finishing?

I rode Joberg2C (my second) on a 26er last year. My riding partner was on a 26er hardtail.

I ride with flats with cleats on the one side - clipped in on dirtroads and on the flat side on the better bits.

You'll be fine on a 26er.

There's a very long very hot climb out of the Umkomaas on the middle day. Go do a few hills before the time.

Mr Slowbee managed to get me to enter Sani2c 2016 - only one problem, I am used to the kind of riding that propels itself up a hill, the 4 legged equestrian kind. I am not a mountain biker, heck I am not even a cyclist (but I do have one 6 hr Argus under the belt). But someone once told us that you should do one thing every year that challenges you. So I guess this is my one thing (and Mr Slowbee's too, never mind the Munga). 

So here is where we are:

1. I have a (new) bike

2. I started spinning classes 2 x a week since last year.

3. I did Joanna's Biking in the Bosch course 1

4. After a few falls I got a pair of airflex knee and elbow guards and I LOVE them.

5. I did some basic skills training at our local track with coach Slowbee

Fitness training was due to start two weeks ago, but I was a tad too eager and got sick and injured my knee on day one. This was a serious blow to my morale. But nothing a few trips to the physio and a lot of flu meds could not fix. With exactly 13 weeks to go I would be telling a lie if I told you I  was not a bit nervous. 

Any tips or advice for a zero to sani newbie to make the most of the next 13 weeks?

Ride as much as you can, and try to keep the rides fun as far as possible.

If you're around Gauteng, maybe we can arrange a Breedts nek ride?

I would ensure that your bike is perfectly set up before you do any serious mileage to avoid injury. Then ensure that your kit (shoes / bib shorts / helmet) is comfortable.

Because it is a three day race, I would suggest that you train in three day blocks. Get used to waking up a little stiff/tired and then getting onto the bike. The three day block training will get you fit quickly as well.

Sani is not technical at all. Do not worry about that. It is a manicured garden path.

Learn to climb hills slowly and economically. I like the tortoise and hare comment above. Use it.

And nutrition, become a Nazi... nice little sips of a carb drink every twenty or so minutes and a mouth full of food every hour. When you finish the day, legs up and eat... stretch as well... then eat and drink some more.

You will be fine.

Most of all, enjoy it. The vibe is awesome and the scenery is truly beautiful. Just go and enjoy it.

Agree with Monark, get used to back-to-back riding days. That was my biggest challenge going from once a weekend riding to Sani. The main thing that changed was keeping my body well fed. Learn to eat before, during and after rides. It's not a weight loss nutrition battle, it's a keep your body from crashing.

And ride with your partner a lot! if you get used to each others' pace, it helps.

Find a route with a long, horrible climb and keep at it. My hill was Breedt's Nek. After Sani I wanted to hug that hill.

#1 rule of Sani: Enjoy the crap out of it. Many many people are too busy to appreciate the beauty of those trails.

(In hindsight I see I have just repeated what others have said, but it's true. Sani is a Jol)

I have to add... keep up with the technical skills training. As Monark says, its not technical, but for a beginner it is not a walk in the park. Make sure you are comfortable with steepish downhill and switchbacks. Learn not to hang on your brakes.

I have seen many people struggle down the umkomaas, and instead of enjoying some of the best riding in the world, they are nervous and unstable, and holding up 30 people that are getting frustrated. 

You'll love it. Slowbee will push you up the main climbs so don't worry.

:eek: :eek: , that is NOT in the contract....... :ph34r:

So yes I'm with you going from zero to hero in a year. This time last year I didn't own a bike and thought I had won the TdF when I cycled 10km on my husbands bike ????

A few weeks ago I did my first Ironman 70.3 ????????

Best part of it all was that my husband and I entered and trained for it together. Best experience of my life. It does help that i am married to a literal saint. We did all the training rides together at my pace and it was fantastic.

The rides were very difficult to start off with I thought I was going to explode out of my thighs some days but it did get easier and more pleasurable, I promise.

Take it easy and stick to your programme like a daemon. If it was rainy or too hot I did the same programme on the Wattbike at the gym. NOTHING deviated me from the plan and goal. Not kids not homework not anything!

I did find that running on the treadmill helped with strength and lessened my injuries so maybe add (not substitute) some running every second day? I ran for a max of an hour every afternoon.

At the end of it all just remember a few things:

You are blessed to have a husband who wants to include you in his cycling life

Your husband is blessed to have such a cool chick at his side who is also game for a bit of adventure

You are both blessed with the health and finances to enjoy a memory making experience together!

Go out there and have fun Mrs Slowbee you will be so glad you did!

So yes I'm with you going from zero to hero in a year. This time last year I didn't own a bike and thought I had won the TdF when I cycled 10km on my husbands bike

Go out there and have fun Mrs Slowbee you will be so glad you did!

like times 1000!

I agree with Bianchi Baby, it makes such a difference having a husband/partner that your can do things with...and a little running will go a long way in your fitness. Spinning intervals and long endurance rides on the road will also help.

I rode with a camera (was my copout/excuse for stopping my partner from killing me)..take the time to photograph the memories (and catch your breath).  when you do get off the bike, stretch!! Practise hanging onto Slowbee's pocket  :whistling:

Good luck and cant wait for the post ride report. :clap:

Archived