Kalbo designs products

wacker

I joined the "kalbo clang" today. Whoop whoop. Got home stripped the bike fitted the 32 oval and my 11:42 rear...and then...my problem started. I can't get me gear setup right.Got a full XT setup with clutch derailer. I adjusted my B- tension screw but no luck. Almost seems like its pulling and putting strain on derailer. Now I am wondering if it might be chain length.

Anybody in CT that did the conversion that can perhaps point me to a LBS that can help with the adjustments?

Thanks Colin for the great service and super products.

Sounds like the chain may be a bit short...

Full sus bike?

I find decompressing the rear shock and THEN setting your chain length works best.

Ihad no problems on my 1x10 enen before i got a RAD cage. Just setuo a friends recently without the RAD as well without any problems...yet :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the XT not come with an alternate mount in the box? This is a known problem on some bikes hence the shitmano designedan alternate hanger

As far as i know, that alternate mount is to mount to a frame that does not have a direct mount option where the alternate mount is not needed.

The goatlink is supposed to position the top jocky of the RD a bit further back and down for improved shifting...the RAD cage does the same but actually repositions the top jocky instead of the whole RD like the goatlink.. .as far as i understand it...

Sounds like the chain may be a bit short...

Full sus bike?

I find decompressing the rear shock and THEN setting your chain length works best.

Ihad no problems on my 1x10 enen before i got a RAD cage. Just setuo a friends recently without the RAD as well without any problems...yet :P

This a good point for the duel sus...so you mean let all the air out the rear shock and then measure the chain lenght according to front ring and biggest cog at the back?

This a good point for the duel sus...so you mean let all the air out the rear shock and then measure the chain lenght according to front ring and biggest cog at the back?

Pretty much yeah.

But I actually run it through the rear mech (with the clutch off) and I then make the chain short enough that there is still a little play in the rear mech. Ya do this with the susepnsion fully compressed in the rear. 

Whether this is 100% good or not I don't know, but it works for me.

I find the looping around front chainring and largest rear cog + 2/3/4 links a little iffy...

Pretty much yeah.

But I actually run it through the rear mech (with the clutch off) and I then make the chain short enough that there is still a little play in the rear mech. Ya do this with the susepnsion fully compressed in the rear.

Whether this is 100% good or not I don't know, but it works for me.

I find the looping around front chainring and largest rear cog + 2/3/4 links a little iffy...

Interesting way of doing it as i did it the conventional "iffy" way..lol..Do you run a wide range cassette?

Interesting way of doing it as i did it the conventional "iffy" way..lol..Do you run a wide range cassette?

Yeah  on my 1x10 i was running the Shimano XT cassette with the OneUp 42 expander and 16t intermediate cog. 

Same thing I just put on a buddies bike recently also with the XT 10 speed derailleur.

On front I was initially running a 32T RaceFace chainring, but switched to an Absolute Black 32T oval ...no issues :)

B-screw did not need to be all the way in on the recent setup either.

That's why I suspect it's likely related to chain length as you basically have an identical setup.

I also just want to mention seeing that this is a Kaldo thread that Colin reached out to me personally last night asking to send some pics to see if he can help. Just one more reason to support this Saffa.  :clap:

Yeah on my 1x10 i was running the Shimano XT cassette with the OneUp 42 expander and 16t intermediate cog.

Same thing I just put on a buddies bike recently also with the XT 10 speed derailleur.

On front I was initially running a 32T RaceFace chainring, but switched to an Absolute Black 32T oval ...no issues :)

B-screw did not need to be all the way in on the recent setup either.

That's why I suspect it's likely related to chain length as you basically have an identical setup.

You may be right regarding the chain length. I am wanting to go 34 oval upfront and sunrace 42 wide range cassette. Currently on 32 round but reckon a 34 oval with wide range cassette should have no issues. Now to start saving

.lol

You may be right regarding the chain length. I am wanting to go 34 oval upfront and sunrace 42 wide range cassette. Currently on 32 round but reckon a 34 oval with wide range cassette should have no issues. Now to start saving

.lol

~To be honest, unless you have pretty strong legs, even 34 Oval is tough :S

Well for me at least, 32T oval is nice :)

10 Speed chains on sale at CWC today if you need one ;)

~To be honest, unless you have pretty strong legs, even 34 Oval is tough :S

Well for me at least, 32T oval is nice :)

10 Speed chains on sale at CWC today if you need one ;)

Well lets put it this way, i am a real weekend warrior so not much happens in the week so fitness not good. Currently manage where i ride on 32 round but struggle a little on one or two hills but dont have a wide range cassette, only 11-36. Think a 32 oval is enough?

and you may want to consider ditching those KCNC jockey pulley wheels in the bin. Those are not going to help your cause. Plastic wheels run quieter and allow for better chain retention at the extreme ends of the cassette

Well lets put it this way, i am a real weekend warrior so not much happens in the week so fitness not good. Currently manage where i ride on 32 round but struggle a little on one or two hills but dont have a wide range cassette, only 11-36. Think a 32 oval is enough?

The gearing is determined by how much Teeth the chain ring has. All the oval is going to offer is a smoother feel which helps with fatigue. Thats my experience of them.

and you may want to consider ditching those KCNC jockey pulley wheels in the bin. Those are not going to help your cause. Plastic wheels run quieter and allow for better chain retention at the extreme ends of the cassette

Thanks for input guys. I will get a new chain and slap my plastic jockey wheels back on.

Archived