Meyerton/Alberton Farm roads and paths

Uni

Driving back from the Vaal after Meyerton I noticed kms and kms of dirt roads and foot paths in the fields/farms adjacent to the highway. There were no fences that I could see. I was thinking would be fun to go exploring , at one point in the distance looked like there was a guy on a bike riding through the fields.

Bit vague I know but anyone know of public accessible roads and being able to get on the lands there - who owns them? Was just open fields, didn't see crops or livestock.

To.

There's a lot of open trail on either side of the R59. But there have been an equally large amount of bike jackings in the area. Best not to ride alone. 4 or more is best...

There's a lot of open trail on either side of the R59. But there have been an equally large amount of bike jackings in the area. Best not to ride alone. 4 or more is best...

Hmm not quite what I was hoping to hear. I always feel the more remote the safer from thugs. Maybe I'll twist the girls' arms and go exploring.

Tx

The DOC group do a vaal ride about once a month! Good fun!

I'm not at the Vaal that often, when I am it's to get onto the inflatable, but if I'm ever there for an extended period I'll look up the ride options, tx.

There is some good riding from Rietvlei all the way out to Circus on the R59. 

Flat as a pancake, can get windy but not bad fun.

Ride there quite often,mostly once a week. Some good terrain out there . And hidden paths.

where do you start from Pikey? 

There is some good riding from Rietvlei all the way out to Circus on the R59. 

Flat as a pancake, can get windy but not bad fun.

i like flat as a pancake :) 

the section i'm referring to is waaaaay before Rietvlet etc - still very rural - very little civilisation - which is  what appeals to me.

i guess i could always venture off with a "Moenie skiet nie" flag on my bike and chance it that the nice oom on the farm will let the poor "lost" girl ride through his farm. haaaahaa. 

where do you start from Pikey?

from home live in meyersdal ,so it's very convenient. Can ride any where from a 40km to a 90km ride . There is some hills,not lots but a few.

Buy you could leave from the nursery and park your car there or rietvlei. But you do need to know here you are riding as there is some spots to avoid . I don't ride there by myself as a general rule.

from home live in meyersdal ,so it's very convenient. Can ride any where from a 40km to a 90km ride . There is some hills,not lots but a few.

Buy you could leave from the nursery and park your car there or rietvlei. But you do need to know here you are riding as there is some spots to avoid . I don't ride there by myself as a general rule.

:thumbup:  tx

Driving back from the Vaal after Meyerton I noticed kms and kms of dirt roads and foot paths in the fields/farms adjacent to the highway. There were no fences that I could see. I was thinking would be fun to go exploring , at one point in the distance looked like there was a guy on a bike riding through the fields.

Bit vague I know but anyone know of public accessible roads and being able to get on the lands there - who owns them? Was just open fields, didn't see crops or livestock.

To.

Yup, must do it in a group but there are endless options in that area for exploring.

The DOC guys (check their Facebook page) ride all over that part of the world. Great bunch of people....

we riding out to the vaal this weekend with the doc group, 

we park at bells inn, and should end up around 90km

doc rides are every sat and sun, from bells inn meet 6:30 am.

they know all the trails out south.

as well as wed night rides from bells as well.

Ooh, Meyersdal... Pretentious snob...

Archived