Shorter, sharper 2016 Cape Pioneer Trek route revealed

News bot

The route for the eighth Cape Pioneer Trek international mountain bike stage race has been revealed and it’s shorter than any of the previous editions. This is in line with an ongoing quest by the organisers to offer quality over quantity and a more rewarding racing experience.

Click here to view the article

Dryland races are always good and the Pioneer is (used to be?) my favourite stage race. However, I think the Pioneer is losing it's way.

No Kamanassie, no Swartberg (not even once), less than 500km/10,000m in 7 days? A prologue that was mostly (70%?) ridden on tar and pavement in 2015 and to be repeated in 2016?

I hope the changes increase the rider numbers, but this is not the Pioneer I came to enjoy.  

Fully agree Thor.

Give me the 2014 version any day.  Singletrack Prologue at Buffelsdrift.  Suffering up the Swartberg and Kamanassie - athough I hated the suffering, I looooved it.

This is not Pioneering at all.  Looks more than a double Sani2C.

Ooops......rider feedback!?

Just as well they are renowned for good food, lots of people are going to be done by 11am and be pretty hungry by 1, then what do you do with the rest of the day seeing that you have hardly ridden your bike.

I have done CPT in 2012 and 2015 .I liked  last year,s route .Regarding 2016 .Stage 1 will be a good route in a very scenic area '.If the route is similar to Monties descember event .There is some very nice Singletract on the farms surrounding Gondwana .

Stage 2 will be similar to 2015 stage 1.Took me 7 hours 

Stage 3 will be in the wet muddy forest trails around George .Will still keep you busy for 4 hours 

Stage 4 .Montagu pass and then skipping chandelier towards Herold can be a fine ride 

Stage 5 Around Kamanassie dam .Don,t know what to expect

Stage 6 Chandelier game farm has some proper MTB tract 

I have done Swartberg enough times and Kamanassie twice from both sides .I think the stages will all have enough proper riding .

I have done CPT in 2012 and 2015 .I liked  last year,s route .Regarding 2016 .Stage 1 will be a good route in a very scenic area '.If the route is similar to Monties descember event .There is some very nice Singletract on the farms surrounding Gondwana .

Stage 2 will be similar to 2015 stage 1.Took me 7 hours 

Stage 3 will be in the wet muddy forest trails around George .Will still keep you busy for 4 hours 

Stage 4 .Montagu pass and then skipping chandelier towards Herold can be a fine ride 

Stage 5 Around Kamanassie dam .Don,t know what to expect

Stage 6 Chandelier game farm has some proper MTB tract 

I have done Swartberg enough times and Kamanassie twice from both sides .I think the stages will all have enough proper riding .

Hey Blitzer, you getting soft :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

I like the new direction the event is taking. We already have an Epic for the ouens who wants bragging rights. Joberg2c has picked up immensely due to the enjoyment factor involved, and races like W2W with the focus on good routes, hospitality and reasonable ride times each day are fully subscribed. My 2016 calendar is quite full, but I'll have a serious look at 2017. The timing may not suite everyone, but for me it will work quite well.

In 2013 I did BCBR in Canada. The longest day I had on the bike was around 6h30 minutes and it was still by far the best 7 days I've spent on a bike. With the focus seemingly shifting on more quality riding opposed to distance and vertical meters I am sure that they will soon have an event that will be fully subscribed.

On reflection, I guess as long as the organiser is clear about their intentions and their audience then there is no problem, and credit to DL for being upfront and timeous about it, there is no shortage of choice if one wants to do something else and I am sure they have done their homework in assessing their target market.

Im am going to miss the challenge and bragging rights of conquering Swartberg and Kamanassie.

The Dryland guys always put on a good show, I am sure they will find some very cool routes for us.

The more time we spend on technical tracks or single tracks the better.

Looking forward to some new trails.