Specialized power saddle

Rainier

Hi all

I bought a Fizik Gobi saddle and was very happy with the comfort of it except for the fact that I sometimes experience numbness down under. I was told by an experienced riding friend, to buy a different saddle,because this numbness can cause future manly problems. He told me to get the Specialized Phenom or Power.

Friday, two days before the Cape Town Cycle Tour, I went to the Specialized concept store. They measured my sit bones to be 115mm and gave me the 143mm Power saddle.

I know you are not supposed to change anything before a race, but I took a chance.

I experienced quite some pain only on my sit bones for about half way through the race. It felt like all my weight was focused on my sit bones. Thankfully no numbness whatsoever!

My question is, is a new saddle supposed to hurt at first untill you get used to the saddle or untill the padding get used to your shape? Or is the right saddle for you supposed to be perfectly comfortable from the start?

There has been many discussion around saddles.

1st and foremost most people would recommend that you do a bike setup. 

Secondly, give it some time.
Work it in a bit.

That's because the Power saddle forces you to sit on you r sit bones, instead of your chommie, so yes, it will take a bit of getting used to.

so sitting on your chommie is what's causing numbness and a guaranteed (or highly probable) result of an ill-fitting saddle? 

so sitting on your chommie is what's causing numbness and a guaranteed (or highly probable) result of an ill-fitting saddle? 

Yeah exactly

Hi all

I bought a Fizik Gobi saddle and was very happy with the comfort of it except for the fact that I sometimes experience numbness down under. I was told by an experienced riding friend, to buy a different saddle,because this numbness can cause future manly problems. He told me to get the Specialized Phenom or Power.

Friday, two days before the Cape Town Cycle Tour, I went to the Specialized concept store. They measured my sit bones to be 115mm and gave me the 143mm Power saddle.

I know you are not supposed to change anything before a race, but I took a chance.

I experienced quite some pain only on my sit bones for about half way through the race. It felt like all my weight was focused on my sit bones. Thankfully no numbness whatsoever!

My question is, is a new saddle supposed to hurt at first untill you get used to the saddle or untill the padding get used to your shape? Or is the right saddle for you supposed to be perfectly comfortable from the start?

I recently went from a fizik aliante to the power saddle recently due to the same numbness issue you had. It was comfortable from the start and the numbness has gone. One thing I did as part of the change was  saddle  setup (in the shop). This made a difference as the saddle height from the Fizik and postioning of power saddle are radically different... it too a while and a few weeks of adjustment to find the right position for me.. Once I nailed it it was 100% comfort and pedaling flow

The guys in Cycles Direct were awesome setting the saddle up for me.

Also which version of the power saddle did  you get... The comp and expert have more padding (Level 2) while the other 2 more expensive ones have less padding. 

Having used Fizik all my  riding life... I do not see myself using anything else than the power saddle. Total comfort for me.

I have the comp. I had a bike fit done on my MTB and after a bit of measurement its on the MTB now. Can't wait for my legs to recover from the Cycle Tour to try the seat out on the trails where I normally ride.

Hi all

Simular problem for me....

Got a Power saddle and yes my sit bones were sore for a couple of weeks, but now no pain or numb nuts. It's the right thing to do....

Spook Groenewald (083 601 1221) did my setup and I can highly recommend him. Sorted my bike after others failed...

I have been a similar route with a Fizik Gobi which was ok but my chommie was grumpy after long rides and for a long time after. Specialized did the measurements and sold me a saddle; not exactly sure which one (not the very latest models) but me, and my chommie, are much happier after two years or so.  Sit bones do get sore, but chommie is happier. No saddle is armchair comfortable of course.

Adamo also gets good recommendations.

I've been on Specialized saddles for 3-4 years now. they are designed to take the pressure off your chommie. You sit on the bones where there are no never endings so that's why nothing goes numb.

The first 5-10 rides us painful though while you get used to it.

Over the years I went from fizik to Spez phenom, and recently got set up professionally for the first time, was told I needed a 155mm saddle( I did not know they came wider than the 'usual') I was recommended the Spez Power saddle and it is extremely comfortable, although it took one or two rides to get used to.

The only thing that concerns me is it is 3cm shorter in front so on technical uphill single track it may be slightly more difficult to get weight over the front wheel.

I'm also riding Fizik, however rode a mates bike that has the comp saddle and It felt like my ass belonged on that saddle! Definitely going to be purchasing one very soon!!!

I ride with the Power S-Works saddle on my road and mountain bike. Best saddle I have ever owned, period.

Over the years I went from fizik to Spez phenom, and recently got set up professionally for the first time, was told I needed a 155mm saddle( I did not know they came wider than the 'usual') I was recommended the Spez Power saddle and it is extremely comfortable, although it took one or two rides to get used to.

The only thing that concerns me is it is 3cm shorter in front so on technical uphill single track it may be slightly more difficult to get weight over the front wheel.

I have been on Spec saddles for a number of years now. 

I tried virtually every saddle on the market. swopping between Tri position and road position. 

In the tri (or drops for road bikes) your hip angle is a lot lower. 

Thus forcing you to sit more on the Perennial nerve. 

This is where the Power saddle is great. The tip dips to allow you to sit in the "power" position / more forward on the saddle.

So if you are wanting the comfort of the Power saddle but need the extra length, rather go for the Spec Romin Evo Pro. The tip of the saddle also dips and gives you that clearance for your hammies.