MTB to road... for a race

Joe_Cogs

Hi Guys,

Your assistance please.

I have decided to do 94.7 this year and have just signed up for the emperors classic seeding race. Doing the full 98km ride, which in my condition, is going to be interesting.

Question being, I don't have a road bike. What's the easiest way to do the race minus buying a road bike? Struggling to find someone with an extra bike to borrow, so I was thinking putting slicks on my mountain bike. Would I struggle at that distance? What are the costs. Do they fit most bikes? I have a 26er jalopy. 

I've never ridden a mountain bike on the road. Is it not too bad? I am not looking for pro times, just don't want to be at the back in November.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Fitting a pair of slick tyres will be all you really need.

Thanks very much. I will look into this

Hi Guys,

Your assistance please.

I have decided to do 94.7 this year and have just signed up for the emperors classic seeding race. Doing the full 98km ride, which in my condition, is going to be interesting.

Question being, I don't have a road bike. What's the easiest way to do the race minus buying a road bike? Struggling to find someone with an extra bike to borrow, so I was thinking putting slicks on my mountain bike. Would I struggle at that distance? What are the costs. Do they fit most bikes? I have a 26er jalopy. 

I've never ridden a mountain bike on the road. Is it not too bad? I am not looking for pro times, just don't want to be at the back in November.

Any advice would be much appreciated

I think you should be fine with a mountain bike on the road. I've done all my road training for the Cape Town Tour Cycle on my mountain bike and it worked out quite well. Albeit it is a 29er, so each pedal stroke is worth slightly more than on a 26". But if you train for it, any bike can do it, including an MTB with  wide DH tires (that's what I've got on the front) and regular width 2.1 tires at the back. I say go for it! And usually I don't know about Joburg but in the Western Cape there are usually a whole bunch of people doing their Road Races on their MTBs, no problem.

Update: regarding slicks. If you've got tubeless tires (and even if you don't), it would be quite a chore to keep changing wheels every time you move from one terrain to the next in between your different training routes. In my particular case, I decided one tire type for all would work. I just needed to put in the training.

I think you should be fine with a mountain bike on the road. I've done all my road training for the Cape Town Tour Cycle on my mountain bike and it worked out quite well. Albeit it is a 29er, so each pedal stroke is worth slightly more than on a 26". But if you train for it, any bike can do it, including an MTB with  wide DH tires (that's what I've got on the front) and regular width 2.1 tires at the back. I say go for it! And usually I don't know about Joburg but in the Western Cape there are usually a whole bunch of people doing their Road Races on their MTBs, no problem.

Thank you for the response. I was quite concerned I would look like a knob on a mountain bike! 

There is HUGE amounts of people doing 94.7 on their MTB and with whatever tyres.

But if you want to make it easier on yourself here are some options:

1. your 26er with slicks - will roll easier just pump them hard.

2. your 26er with 29er or 27.5 wheels and slicks - believe me this works... My mate has a Scott Aspect 26er with 29er wheels (as to keep the disk brakes) and slicks (might even be road bike slick tyres) the bigger wheels mean more top speed.

3. 29er with slicks

4. get a roadbike.

Thank you for the response. I was quite concerned I would look like a knob on a mountain bike! 

there are people that actually go out to look like knobs!!!

There is HUGE amounts of people doing 94.7 on their MTB and with whatever tyres.

But if you want to make it easier on yourself here are some options:

1. your 26er with slicks - will roll easier just pump them hard.

2. your 26er with 29er or 27.5 wheels and slicks - believe me this works... My mate has a Scott Aspect 26er with 29er wheels (as to keep the disk brakes) and slicks (might even be road bike slick tyres) the bigger wheels mean more top speed.

3. 29er with slicks

4. get a roadbike.

Will 29er wheels fit a 26er? How much are they out of interest? I suppose it's based on the amount of gears you have and brand

THAT depends on your frame if they will fit. And generally they should if you have slicks on as they are much smaller than 29er mtb tyres.

post-51814-0-19550300-1457524867_thumb.jpg

It will be a trail and error to see if it fits...

cheapie 29er wheelset I have seen in the classifieds for R1500 excl cassette and disks and tyres. Will need to make sure they have the same axle setup as yours (QR or Thru-axle etc.)

See if you can borrow some first...

Good luck.

Give it a go as is. Nothing wrong with riding the MTB in the road event. You hardcore! Thereafter I would go with the slicks and not throw too much money at it at this stage. If you decide to do more road events in the future get yourself a cheap second hand road bike. To start buying second hand 29 rims, buying or swapping over cassettes, disks etc to end up still riding a MTB on the road seemed like a waste of time and money to me. Anyway, that's how I saw it.

THAT depends on your frame if they will fit. And generally they should if you have slicks on as they are much smaller than 29er mtb tyres.

attachicon.gif21-07-2012_01.jpg

It will be a trail and error to see if it fits...

cheapie 29er wheelset I have seen in the classifieds for R1500 excl cassette and disks and tyres. Will need to make sure they have the same axle setup as yours (QR or Thru-axle etc.)

See if you can borrow some first...

Good luck.

Thanks - Going to see if I can borrow a pair of slicks. Seems quite expensive to go through that.

Give it a go as is. Nothing wrong with riding the MTB in the road event. You hardcore! Thereafter I would go with the slicks and not throw too much money at it at this stage. If you decide to do more road events in the future get yourself a cheap second hand road bike. To start buying second hand 29 rims, buying or swapping over cassettes, disks etc to end up still riding a MTB on the road seemed like a waste of time and money to me. Anyway, that's how I saw it.

Indeed! Going to try borrow a pair of slicks and take it from there

Thanks - Going to see if I can borrow a pair of slicks. Seems quite expensive to go through that.

Indeed! Going to try borrow a pair of slicks and take it from there

Borrowing a pair of slicks even better! 

At least when you get a road bike in the future  :devil:  you will be pleasantly surprised with the gains.

take your bike as is and go ride on the road, yes slicks will make it a bit easier but there is nothing wrong with doing it with normal tires. I have done 3 94.7 road races and was too much of a hassle to put it slicks because of the tubeless so i rode as is.

Just try it, go to suikerbos if you can do that on your MTB you can do the 94.7 

Archived