Rietvlei Trails (farm not dam!)

NotSoBigBen

Yip saw someone try use one Sunday they said no

I'd rather my 30 ronds go towards the competition in this case.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for a ride there yesterday after about a year and I was pleasantly surprised with the new additions.

Thanks for the update NSBB. With all the upcoming holidays was thinking about how it's been a long time since I've been there. Since the bikejacking incident - I haven't been back. Is that building site running alongside now sorted out - do you know?

There has only been the one incident, it was during the week and was a lady on her own. Anyone riding a trail on their own is crazy! Especially during the week as if falling you could lay there for who knows how long before another cyclist comes past. Bike jacking can happen at most cycle parks! I have ridden a few and none are 100% safe from bike jacking, there are other which have had more than one incident.

A great job has been done at RV!

Very tricky.

Sand was very soft and hardly any grip going down and going out the other side

I found the river crossing way too easy! But one must remember to ride within your skills limit.

I ride trails mostly Thaba these days but Rietvlei in the past on my own most weekdays ..... Sometimes early morning and other times around lunchtime. It's a risk I am prepared to take to get in those rides, I can understand some would rather not. I do occasionally also see others riding though.

Thanks NSBB....very nice to hear.

Will definitely give it another go. Haven't ridden there for ages but my 4 year old son loves the kiddies track....

I found the river crossing way too easy! But one must remember to ride within your skills limit.

OK your skills limit is clearly much higher than mine - 'way too easy' Skud maar net my kop [emoji36]

If I remember correctly, I have one more click on my card. It (cars) must be at least three years old.

Time to dust off the bike and give RV another go.

If I remember correctly, I have one more click on my card. It (card) must be at least three years old.

Time to dust off the bike and give RV another go.

There has only been the one incident, it was during the week and was a lady on her own. Anyone riding a trail on their own is crazy! Especially during the week as if falling you could lay there for who knows how long before another cyclist comes past. Bike jacking can happen at most cycle parks! I have ridden a few and none are 100% safe from bike jacking, there are other which have had more than one incident.

A great job has been done at RV!

There were more incidents.

But i agree it can happen anywhere, the problem I have with RV is after the incidents the property owner did nothing to rectify the safety issues with lack of fencing on the Liefde and Vrede side of the property, they installed a hip high piece of fence they found on a scrap heap and called it done. Not good enough. 

Thanks for the update NSBB. With all the upcoming holidays was thinking about how it's been a long time since I've been there. Since the bikejacking incident - I haven't been back. Is that building site running alongside now sorted out - do you know? 

Yes, the trails have gone under new management with a new groundsman called Dion, who is always around and cares very much for the trails. You can always see him there, and he is constantly doing maintenance. And always friendly, he has become a great asset to Rievlei.

rumour has it :) www.engena.co.za - 

They are looking at an electronic method of payment as well that will make things even more efficient in the future.

Good to hear trails haven't gone to pot. Used to love rv. The forest section is awesome . And has some cool blue sections, I actually miss riding rv. Haven't been there for 6 months .

But am now gonna go have a ride this long wkd coming. Is it still R30,thought it had been pushed up to R50. That's what i paid last time I rode there and the trails weren't in good nick.

Glad to hear about the trials .

Thanks nsbb

Good to hear trails haven't gone to pot. Used to love rv. The forest section is awesome . And has some cool blue sections, I actually miss riding rv. Haven't been there for 6 months .

But am now gonna go have a ride this long wkd coming. Is it still R30,thought it had been pushed up to R50. That's what i paid last time I rode there and the trails weren't in good nick.

Glad to hear about the trials .

Thanks nsbb

Rode there yesterday, a lot of effort has gone into the trails, signage has had an upgrade, and some new bits added to link sections to add some variety.

With all of the rain, some sections need to be cleaned up, they are quite overgrown. Dion also needs to provide an alternative to the vlei section after heavy rains. Currently you're forced to go through the "swamp", should make a right turn onto the road after Clinic, and then join the twisties further up.

Graeme's Grind is now proper blue, the lines have become very rocky, probably due to erosion from the rain.

Well done to Dion and the team, Rietvlei had gone backwards in the last while, glad to see it's being developed and maintained again.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode there this morning, only did the green route though - good fun. Been probably a year since I've ridden there, i had a good chuckle at some of the things I used to walk (there are still a few) - but will definitely put it back on the regular ride schedule, I need to learn to pick my lines better over the rocks - lots of pedal strike, but those forest sections :)

Our timing was a bit off, encountered park runners in places. Wasn't bad, but there were a few disapproving looks.

OH isn't one to sit down and rest, the last bull run he came out and his response was f*%#^% I need to sit down :)

Archived