Need expert advice please

Jakes03

Hi there i need some advice

Im a big ex rugby player. I weigh 135 kgs, 1.88m height and want to get a bike for some fitness and to lose some kgs.

I dont want to ride in competitions. Mainly i want to use the bike to ride to work and would also want to use it maybe for some fitness on the road and maybe some off-road but not hectic mountains and dangerous places.

Could anybody give me some tips for a make and model that is cheap but it won,t break after a month.

Thanks alot.

Regards

I was 136kilos when started out cycling, i was on a GT Avalanche 26er. That was a couple of years ago, last year dipped to 130kilos again and was riding a Giant XTC 29er without issue.

Im 1.88m, well cheap under R10 000 but i looked at some prices and they are expensive! So i dont know if i am realistic

It may be worth while looking at the second hand market to see what is available. all that really needed is you in seem. this will dictate the frame size that is required.

I first started on a Silverback Sola 4 MTB 29er 2 years back from cycle lab which cost 10 k for the bike and all the parts required, extra tubes, bombs, multitool etc.

How do i know if i need a large r xl frame?

Im 185. My 26er was a large but it was almost too small for me. My 29er is also a large and i am using a 400mm seatpost on it. I suggest go chat to some bike shops first and ask them for sizes. They will tell you large or xlarge. Maybe even take a bike or two for a spin in the parking lot and then check whether you want new or 2nd hand. Alot more bang for your buck secondhand.

I have just been in a similar situation looking for an entry level bike for my girlfriend.

I would recommend a 29er hardtail mountain bike. They are more comfortable and more robust than road bikes and fairly easy to maintain compared to full-suspension bike.

In terms of which one, I found a Silverback Sola 1 for her on Gumtree at 13k, which was a really good deal. I usually ride Pygas and Giants and I was very surprised how comfy the silverback is when compared to a Giant XTC.

The Sola 1 is the top of the range and super light . Perhaps aim at the Sola 2.

e.g. http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/other/silverback-mtb-sola-2-29er/1001600847710910218130009

Best advice is to first make sure of bike size, as mentioned above. No use riding the incorrect bike size and possibly taking away that enjoyment factor due to sore hands, knees, back etc. Go to a bike shop and ask to be sized for the various mountain bike wheel sizes before deciding on anything. From there you have a starting point.

Same situation, looking for a entry level bike to start cycling and to commute to campus and back for my girlfriend. Entry level giant, hydraulic brakes, enough gears for a newbie, comfortable geometry etc, R5000.00. So you can come right with a brand new bike that doesn't break the bank for between 5 and 10 grand.

I would go with a mountain bike rather than road bike as mentioned and rather 'hard tail' (no suspension) than suspension as mentioned.

And dont forget a helmet!

Goodluck

I have just been in a similar situation looking for an entry level bike for my girlfriend.

I would recommend a 29er hardtail mountain bike. They are more comfortable and more robust than road bikes and fairly easy to maintain compared to full-suspension bike.

In terms of which one, I found a Silverback Sola 1 for her on Gumtree at 13k, which was a really good deal. I usually ride Pygas and Giants and I was very surprised how comfy the silverback is when compared to a Giant XTC.

The Sola 1 is the top of the range and super light . Perhaps aim at the Sola 2.

e.g. http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/other/silverback-mtb-sola-2-29er/1001600847710910218130009

Hi Jakes03. My 2014 large Sola1 is up for sale. 90% road riding and in awesome condition. Very low kilos covered. Let me know if you're interested. Asking R14 500.

I have never been that heavy but at 105kgs I have stuffed lightish 29er wheels something to consider is that the smaller wheels may be stronger. Updated tech may have resolved this, not sure.

My vote would be for a steel, 26" hardtail. I love mine.

Hi Jakes,

At 1.88 the difference between a Large and XL frame will depend on the frame geometry and your build. Do you tend to have longer / shorter / average legs/body? Size is the most important consideration for you, but I'd guess you should be able to fit on any large, but some bikes would be slightly better in an XL.

The biggest issue you will have is with your weight - wheels are probably the next most important thing to look at. For example a lot of people have recommended the Silverback Sola1. This is a great bike and great specs BUT the standard wheelset (Stans Crest) has a practical limit of about 90 kgs. So if you bought that bike you would need to take the wheels to a bikeshop and have the rims swapped out which will cost you around R3000 minimum.

If you're wanting to ride to work and do some road rides, it may be worth looking at road bikes instead of MTBs, though MTBs are more flexible for commuting as you can hop onto pavements and take shortcuts on some trails - but this will depend on your commuting route.

That GT avalanche is a good option, but R4k is a bit steep for a bike that old imo. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/184233-silverback-sola-4-upgraded-drivetrain/    is a good option especially with the upgraded shifters and rear derailleur. 

Hi Jakes,

At 1.88 the difference between a Large and XL frame will depend on the frame geometry and your build. Do you tend to have longer / shorter / average legs/body? Size is the most important consideration for you, but I'd guess you should be able to fit on any large, but some bikes would be slightly better in an XL.

The biggest issue you will have is with your weight - wheels are probably the next most important thing to look at. For example a lot of people have recommended the Silverback Sola1. This is a great bike and great specs BUT the standard wheelset (Stans Crest) has a practical limit of about 90 kgs. So if you bought that bike you would need to take the wheels to a bikeshop and have the rims swapped out which will cost you around R3000 minimum.

If you're wanting to ride to work and do some road rides, it may be worth looking at road bikes instead of MTBs, though MTBs are more flexible for commuting as you can hop onto pavements and take shortcuts on some trails - but this will depend on your commuting route.

That GT avalanche is a good option, but R4k is a bit steep for a bike that old imo. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/184233-silverback-sola-4-upgraded-drivetrain/    is a good option especially with the upgraded shifters and rear derailleur. 

Yip, those rims are the only downer on the bike. Yes, they super light etc, but they are not the strongest and are an absolute bliksem to mount tires onto. Just google ZTR crest tire fitting.

That is why I would recommend the sola 2 or so.

Archived