Looking to buy carbon road rims - what to consider...

Barker

Hi, I am looking at buying some carbon rims as a upgrade to my road bike. 

I currently have some very heavy Merida Super Aero 38mm aluminium rims that came standard with my Merida Reacto. They clock in at around 3.5+ kg.

The reason i am upgrading is cause i have some spare money now and I want better rims on the bike...if they are lighter then its a bonus. My weight is around 94kg... if this needs to be considered as well.

I spoke to some friends about buying 2nd hand  and i hear horror stories about buying cheaper rims that might be warped or oval. So i wish to avoid any of these stories...

I do not have a HUGE budget. To give you an idea of my price range. I am currently looking at Darkhorse wheels. 38mm front, 60 / 88mm for the back. That's around R 15K.

So i have three questions:

1. What brand is decent to consider?

2. What must i look out for when buying carbon rims.

3. How deep should i go for the back wheel. I have done some reading and most say 60mm while others say there is no difference between the 60mm and 88mm.

I am not willing to consider chines imports unless i can be persuaded. I want to have at least some manufacturer warranty to fall back onto if needed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about pricing, think it was around your ballpark but Token wheels seem to be good value for money.

go with the Token C50's, you won't be sorry. They are a bit more than R15k but it will be worth it.

And what type of riding do you mainly do ? For normal road use, the 60/88mm is probably going to be too deep, especially with the wind in WC.

There has been some flex issues reported by several about the DH wheels, as you are 94 kgs.

Be aware of that.

Your budget restricts to quite a bit if you're looking at new.

Keep an eye out for used wheels here in Hubland.

I have bought several carbon hoops here and, with due diligence, both paid under 15K.

How do you feel about a carb/alu wheelset, such as the Dura Ace 9000 C50 or C35?

There's a set of each on the hub and in your price bracket. 

They are very nice wheels and if they good for Team Sky then perhaps they could work for you :-)

I am not willing to consider chines imports ..

Most carbon wheels are chinese/taiwanese no matter what the branding. :)

Locally branded/marketed options that come to mind (similarly priced and specced):

- Darkhorse

- Concept Carbon

Edge Design offers good value too.

Look out for good braking surface.

Second hand purchase could get you a better brand wheel (Zipp, FFWD etc) without any real concerns.

PS: OP - with a name like JoeZipp, I think there's only one brand you should be looking at. ;)

Light-bicycle.com

Plus Chris King R45

Good taste.!

You got a price on that set-up.?

I suspect it may be a "touch" more than 15k.

If one is looking at 2nd hand rims, is there anything to watch out for?

have the wheels checked by a bike shop to make sure they all running true and that the braking surface is in good condition. Better yet, have them tested on a short ride to make 100%.

A mate recently purchased a set of wheels from a hubber without seeing them, but had a bike shop in Centurion check them out for him.

The wheels arrived 2 days later, only to find that the wheel was repaired on the braking surface which caused a massive vibration when braking.

So although 95% of the sellers are true to their word, just becareful when buying used.

If one is looking at 2nd hand rims, is there anything to watch out for?

Brake surface, shape, spoke hole damage.

Good taste.!

You got a price on that set-up.?

I suspect it may be a "touch" more than 15k.

Probably around R15K.

Rims from light bicycle are about R2200 per rim

Hubs are about R10k

Stil need spokes so may just slide in under R15K or just over

Probably around R15K.

Rims from light bicycle are about R2200 per rim

Hubs are about R10k

Stil need spokes so may just slide in under R15K or just over

+ labour + shipping costs from China

Archived