Speed cameras and mountain biking

Mojoman

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/04/15mph-new-marin-county-speed-enforcement/

Marin County rangers have raised a few eyebrows within the mountain bike world by announcing the impending use of LIDAR “radar guns” to monitor speeds in the Open Space District lands and Mount Tamalpais trails, near San Francisco, which has long been by many considered the womb of mountain biking.

All cyclists within the 16,000 acre space will have to ensure they don’t exceed the 15 miles-per-hour limit. The plan to enforce a speed limit was approved in December 2014 with the idea that it will help keep all users of the park safe and improve the visitor experience. It’s worth noting that it’s not just bikes – horses, ATVs, and other fast moving traffic (the fabled TurboGranny of Marin?) will have to abide by it too.

There are currently two deputies patrolling the open space preserves with speed cameras; anyone caught breaking the limit can expect a fine of several hundred dollars.

Pat O’Brien, Interim director of the Marin County Park, said in a statement: For years we’ve had concerns expressed to us about safety on unpaved roads and trails, so we think it’s natural to use a proven program in our open spaces. I wish to emphasise that the great majority of bike riders respect safety when they ride on the Open Space trails.”

So what do you think? Could you enjoy the full, heady thrill of 15 mph in this iconic region? At least there are no plans (YET) to enforce a speed limit at trails in the UK.

Wonder how that would have been if it read 'Emmarentia Botanical Gardens' instead ...

rather put op boards saying "be mindful of speeding bikes" in those areas. its only two areas in a whole park......

Look, I only ever get 15mph(24kph) when falling off my bike, but that is a little ridiculous. There probably is some kind of back story here, but still. ATV's maybe, but MTB??