Buffelsdrift MTB Trails - Gran Fondo?

Hfx0

I recently heard about Buffelsdrift Trail Park from a mate out in Pretoria. Apparently it’s an incredible trail.

The combined distance for all the trails clocks in at 109Km

Has anyone here done a Gran Fondo at Buffelsdrift? Is is doable for someone with an average speed of 15km/h?

There is alot of people thats done the 100km , they even give you a special badge and a mention with a photo on FB, 

Its do able , but you will have a very long day in the saddle, like 7-8 hours long 

Rode there again on Saturday .Easy pace 15.6km/h 49,7km took us 3h10 on buffalo route .Really worthwhile going there .Unfortunately the first climb is being fixed up as it was water damaged and that is a nice section ,but still great route  .Gran fondo on my to do list 

Edited by Blitzer

The combined distance is not 109km. The full route is the buffalo route which is 50km. The shorter routes are just sections of the buffalo mostly.

The 100km Challenge is 2 laps of the buffalo. We did it a month ago. It's a proper ride. Spent about 6 and a half hours in the saddle.

What makes it tough is that you work on the uphills and downhills. You really have to concentrate going down, so it's not an easy recovery back down the hill.

Definitely worth it. It's a great day of riding.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of mates and myself will be doing (trying) it tomorrow.

Sweet! Let us know how it went.

Thinking about riding out that direction tomorrow morning and trying some of the trails. 20km there and back, and then the 50 for the trail itself. Might cut the 50 short depending on how it goes. Should be a nice day out.

I promised them I'd die trying before the end of this year since I was in tears on my first Buffelsdrift ride - we have a debt to settle   :blush: Gonna be a long day 

I recently heard about Buffelsdrift Trail Park from a mate out in Pretoria. Apparently it’s an incredible trail.

The combined distance for all the trails clocks in at 109Km

Has anyone here done a Gran Fondo at Buffelsdrift? Is is doable for someone with an average speed of 15km/h?

Will be there on Sunday. More than welcome to join

There's a few properse climbs - Okkies' Hill is tough. And the downhills you have to concentrate. My current fitness won't last two laps.

Edited by rickus_viljoen

Will be there on Sunday. More than welcome to join

Thanks for the invite but I'm doing Breedts+ on Saturday and Monday.

When I'm back from the Sani I'll definitely join you guys on Buffels!