Shock damage in transport

boemelaar_bob

Ag flip. Should have reread my post.

My bikes hang from the saddle in the garage.

L O L

I thought you meant something like 

Or, your buddy - "don't worry, i got this" - loads the bikes on the bikerack and proceeds to damage your rear shock by scratching the shaft with his bike's pedal...

Or, your buddy - "don't worry, i got this" - loads the bikes on the bikerack and proceeds driving off... and then after a few kilometers you check your mirror and his bike is gone!!

:mellow: 

One of the reasons I prefer roof racks is the fact that the bikes can't scratch eachother. I have lost a rear tyre to a pedal, it rubbed pretty much all the way through the sidewall during the 3 hour journey to the farm.

That said, even with roofracks your bikes aren't 100% safe from scratches, I have found that the bike holder clamps still scratch them somewhat (thule freerides and prorides).

What would be the best bike rack to use when driving a lot of gravel routes like Baviaans and even the odd 4x4 route.

I looked at the Thule standing rack, apart from being very expensive, the number plate / light cluster is only affixed with 2 screws. I currently have a holdfast hanging type, but this in itself is problematic when trying to mount a dual suspension bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

something like this

http://www.uboutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/1upusa-bike-rack-single-bike-loaded.jpg

Similar to the Saris rack

Edited by Eddy Gordo

something like this

http://www.uboutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/1upusa-bike-rack-single-bike-loaded.jpg

Similar to the Saris rack

That's a flippen good idea. I'd try that.

As for the original question - just don't mount the bike like a bellend and you'll be fine.

Anything that rubs, rattles or knocks should be avoided by creative arrangement or pool noodles. Or carrying one less bike than the rated capacity of the rack. The best is a 3 bike ride-on type with 2 bikes, although it's not a cheap option...

Carry all my bikes like this (FS and HT) for a few years already even on long trips like to Scottburgh or Ballito with no issues ....

post-271-0-81463000-1460458888_thumb.jpg