Tubeless - loss of pressure

gerhardsnorbaard

I wouldn't suggest seating with a removed valve simply because That would obviously allow the tyre to deflate as soon as you remove the pump and I like to keep mine inflated at a pretty high pressure overnight after seating to make sure it's sealed well. This might be unnecessary on my part though

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Floor pump with vigorous (and I mean vigorous) pumping with valve in should do the trick.

The adapter makes the biggest hassle: getting into the car and driving to the garage.

The trick is to get constant air volume flowing into the tire, so that it builds up to push the bead on to the rim hook. The compressed air makes this easy, but with a floor pump it's all dependent on your ability to create constant air volume....trust me it's not pleasant - specially if you have a tricky tire that just does not want to seat quickly...after the third attempt of pumping you will hardly be able to lift the wheel to throw it away out of frustration....

Floor pump with vigorous (and I mean vigorous) pumping with valve in should do the trick.

The adapter makes the biggest hassle: getting into the car and driving to the garage.

The trick is to get constant air volume flowing into the tire, so that it builds up to push the bead on to the rim hook. The compressed air makes this easy, but with a floor pump it's all dependent on your ability to create constant air volume....trust me it's not pleasant - specially if you have a tricky tire that just does not want to seat quickly...after the third attempt of pumping you will hardly be able to lift the wheel to throw it away out of frustration....

Lol...the frustration has set in hard. Been pumping like crazy but no luck...gonna try again now and see if i can get it right.

Lol...the frustration has set in hard. Been pumping like crazy but no luck...gonna try again now and see if i can get it right.

Next time, if you just topping in an already beaded tyre, you can avoid all this frustration by instead of unseating the tyre just go to your chemist and buy the biggest syringe with the fattest needle, deflate your tyre and just inject the sealant right through the tread into the tyre. This has worked for me but I would not suggest injecting through the side wall.

Next time, if you just topping in an already beaded tyre, you can avoid all this frustration by instead of unseating the tyre just go to your chemist and buy the biggest syringe with the fattest needle, deflate your tyre and just inject the sealant right through the tread into the tyre. This has worked for me but I would not suggest injecting through the side wall.

That was the plan but when i deflated the tyre, it was not really seated but was holding air perfectly. I have now exhausted ally energy trying to pump that sucker but have given up. Will have to get an adapter and head to the petrol station.

Ok cool, thought they may not support presta valves. Will get an adapter. Another question, if i remove the valve core, will i be able to seat with a floor pump as it gets in more air?

If you don't have an adapter, cut the tip off a valve cap and use the cap. It has worked for me in an emergency before.

So just piggybacking on this thread instead of starting a new one.

Today i decided to top up my sealant and its not going too well. I tool tyre off, put some sealant is but cannot get the tyre inflated enough. Sealent leaked put so decided to use a bomb to see if tyre would hold amd so far holding nicely...but there is no sealent.

Want to go to the garage, put sealent and then inflate. Never done this before so question is, so the garage air pumps accomodate presta valves?

So now that you've used a bomb you need to take the tyre off,clean everything and start again.????

Why the hell would you do something stupid like that and even offer suck *** advice for someone else to do? Remove the core like it's designed to do, insert desired amount of sealant into tyre and reinsert core. Easy peasy

Why the hell would you do something stupid like that and even offer suck *** advice for someone else to do? Remove the core like it's designed to do, insert desired amount of sealant into tyre and reinsert core. Easy peasy

Woah there cowboy, take it easy.

Firstly I was lucky enough to buy a second hand bike and the wheels had non removable cores so that wasn't an option for me.

Secondly I'm not sure why it's such a bad idea, I get loads of thorns where I ride and this has never ruined the integrity of my tyres, sticking a needle into the tyre is kinda the same as a thorn don't you think ?

Maybe I'm wrong and if this was terrible advice and the person who I gave it to has now totaled their bike I do most humbly apologize.

Seriously though if this is super bad for the tyre please let me know and also how cos I have been doing it for ages and would rather buy new valves than ruin my tyres and have to replace them

So now that you've used a bomb you need to take the tyre off,clean everything and start again.????

The plan thete was purely to see if the tyre wpuld seat with the bomb, as i had no sealant and didn't want any in when using a bomb...i had some method there

Got myself a valve adapter and headed off to the petrol station. Put sealant in tyre and started to put air in. It took a few tries but finally got it holding air.

Almost at max pressure that i will leave it overnight like that.

Question: I did not hear any pop as i believe you should when it seats so i assume its not seated but holding air. Possible? Oh yes, they are not tubless specific rims amd tyres but have worked perfectly with the tubless setup. Dartmoor Raider rims with Onza Ibex/Canis tyres.

Sooooo, should a pop sound still be heard with this setup or only tubless specific setup?

No pop necessary. Depends from tyre to tyre and rim combo.

Great, thanks. Holding air nicely so for and put soapy water all round to check for leaks and couldn't see any.

Great, thanks. Holding air nicely so for and put soapy water all round to check for leaks and couldn't see any.

Just give them a few spins in the morning and make sure they're still hard.

Ok cool, thought they may not support presta valves. Will get an adapter. Another question, if i remove the valve core, will i be able to seat with a floor pump as it gets in more air?

Its easy to seat tyre with garage pump - no adapter needed, just valve core remover. How i seat new and existing setups:

1 - remove valve core

2- inflate the dry tyre with garage pump, until you hear tyre pop on bead

3 - Let tyre deflate again (inevitable), then add sealant with small bottle / syringe through valve core

4 - inflate with pump again, making sure valve sits at 9 o clock or higher

5 - here comes the tricky - have valve core ready, and as you remove the pump and the air starts to escape, plug with finger. Then remove finger and quickly put valve core back. Repeat this step until tyre stays inflated.

6 - pump to 2.8 bar max, bounce tyre around and take for a ride around block

7 - deflate to normal running psi and bobs your uncle

Archived