Shifter upgrade question

Spock

Hi guys

My right shifter is giving me problems after a small crash, thinking of replacing it. Now my question is whether to upgrade it whilst I'm at it (obviously!). It's a Deore 10 Spd shifter, alongside M395 brakes. I was wondering firstly, whether an upgrade of only the shifter to XT would be noticeable (ie quicker, crisper). Secondly, I notice the Deore shifters fit quite snugly on my brake levers - will XT,SLX, Deore all fit the same?

Thanks

yes and yes.

if you had 10 speed and fit another 10 speed Shimano shifter it will all fit and work. May be a bit crisper as well. If you want really minimal real estate on the bars you can go i-spec but it would require changing brakes as well.

All Shimano 10 speed MTB are backward and forward compatible - i run SLX brakes, XTR shifters and XT cranks.

The shifter will make the biggest difference to the feel - probably the best upgrade you can make to your shifting IMO.

Well, aside from a SRAM drivetrain  :ph34r:

Saint Shifter coupled with a Zee Derailleur 

What he said.

The Saint has quite a neat double bump system that allows you to grab 2 gears when downshifting. It's taken me a while to get used to it but i like it.

Shimano Zee for the win....

"Zee, a new line of gravity components that are an ideal starting point for aggressive riders and racers."

I ride a XC bike, Would Zee be an option?

"Zee, a new line of gravity components that are an ideal starting point for aggressive riders and racers."

as long as it's 10sp, yes. 

Only thing with the gravity components is that they're built stronger, with less emphasis on weight savings. 

They have a wide rage and a narrow range option. kind of like short cage and long cage but the derailleurs are visually identical.

If you're running 1x10 with a 42 out back i'd not get a Zee as the max it can go up to is 36. Having said that I've run  zee with a 38 out back. I did however have issues with the derailleur crawling up the cassette when back pedalling. (Could have been bad setup)

For me shifter feel on SRAM is better. (Yes even Saint)

Edited by Duane_Bosch

They have a wide rage and a narrow range option. kind of like short cage and long cage but the derailleurs are visually identical.

If you're running 1x10 with a 42 out back i'd not get a Zee as the max it can go up to is 36. Having said that I've run  zee with a 38 out back. I did however have issues with the derailleur crawling up the cassette when back pedalling 

he's just talking shifter, DB. 

he's just talking shifter, DB. 

Oh ok. Then yeah. Zee is the bomb. @ the OP. I run a Zee shifter with an SLX long cage derailleur on my Trail bike with a 1x10 and 42 big ring out back if that's any help.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 2 weeks later...

Update: so i got a pair of XT shifters. Best upgrade ever!

Good. Dunno why everyone was pushing gravity oriented shifters at you. XT is light in weight and feel. Made for XC/Trail. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk