Safety at Groenkloof Nature Reserve your help is needed.

River Rat

10th May 2016 Groenkloof Public Meeting Report Back

First of all I must admit I’m rather overwhelmed by the congratulations and thanks I’ve received from all quarters regarding our public meeting on Tuesday night. Having had a day to reflect on the meeting and its outcome I realised that the outcome cannot be attributable to one person. Let me explain by going back to mid-March when I became aware that the attacks in Groenkloof Nature reserve were increasing in frequency at an alarming rate. I knew that something had to be done or Groenkloof Nature reserve could lost to us forever. In collaboration with the Friend of Groenkloof Nature Reserve (FGNR) we set about trying to procure a meeting with Tshwane Metro through the relevant ward councillor. Despite their best efforts we found ourselves in a quagmire of differing agendas as election manifesto launches, public holidays and MTB stage races were all playing havoc with our attempts to set a meeting date.

While we were kicking the can down the road two separate attacks occurred on the 9th and 10th April. For me this was the last straw, I knew that I had to create some urgency so I broke ranks with FGNR and our councillors by starting the petition. Whilst I had their support there was some serious doubt about how much support I would get for the petition “You’ll be doing well if you get more than 100 signatures” they said. Well that’s when the community said we’ll take your hundred and raise you 3000! With the pressure mounting on council we got a date for the meeting, not ideal as it was during the week and a Sani2c week to boot, but we knew that compromises had to be made so we took it. As far as the venue went council stated that in their experience they should cater for about 40 people, once again the community proved them wrong with approximately 400 attendees. I can tell you that the MMC was now under serious pressure as he scrambled to accommodate us.

I knew that in my opening speech I had to make sure that there was no opportunity for the politicians to brush us off with their normal spin, their press statement the week preceding the meeting attests to this as they claimed that their new efforts were bearing fruit this despite another 3 attacks taking place. So I knew that straight talking was required leaving them no wriggle room, in essence I had to be the bad guy with a no-nonsense approach. I delivered our message in the hope that our best result would be to get the council agree to meet with us on a regular basis so that we could extract some commitments from them down the line to slowly but surely turn the situation around. I also knew that council’s normal modus operandi would be to allow us to vent our frustrations, wearing us down over time and then close the meeting by saying we hear you but please allow our new initiatives to take effect.

I took my seat in the ouderlinge section of the church hoping that I had made my point but seeing the blank stares emanating from the stage I was not sure that I had. But what unfolded from the floor was simply astounding as three female victims of attacks in the area recounted their own ordeals. Saloshani was clearly nervous and still visibly shaken as she bravely shared the details of her ordeal as well as the ongoing suffering from her attack. Taschia, quoting from the Bill of Rights told the council in no uncertain terms that they had violated her rights, but recognised the efforts of a Nature Reserve employee Eric Tishoko, who at great personal risk came to her aid possibly preventing her from being raped. Watching how this young woman looked the council in the eye and told them that they had failed her was inspiring to all of us. Nadine recounted her ordeal as she was assaulted and robbed of her mountain bike and equipment in the adjacent Voortrekker reserve and the long term physical damage she suffered. All of these brave young women highlighted how their respective ordeals were poorly dealt with by the SAPS.

This opened the floodgates with some surprising results after all who would have guessed that it would take a black employee to tell the management team of the reserve that they were useless and shouldn’t be paid till after the election. Who would have said that the 4x4 community’s view would be delivered by a most articulate black man. Who would have guessed that the comic relief would come from an erudite professor looking for assistance with his errant architect neighbour. We were also unaware of the impact of crime on the residents adjacent to the reserve. What I saw that night was a community standing together looking their elected officials in the eye and saying you need to serve us not the other way round. Simply put we will accept nothing less than a council doing their job! I witnessed a community member starting a fund to compensate Taschia and Nadine for the loss of cameras and cycling committing R5000 on the spot. I also witnessed General Andre Wieseof the SAPS take the criticism on the chin, accept responsibility and undertake to address the issues before 12:00 the next day, I for one believe him. I witnessed a public apology from council with an acknowledgement that they have to rebuild the trust with the community and they committed to a variety of actions to address the problems and to report back to us on the 7th July. What I witnessed was a united community holding their council to account and getting results. I am truly humbled and privileged to have been part of it, thanks to all of you.

If you wish to assist Taschia or Nadine the bank account details of FGNR are:

Bank account name: Friends of Groenkloof Nature Reserve, Account no: 620 4620 4830 First National Bank, Brooklyn Branch no 251345. Please email confirmation of payment to rtryhou@icon.co.za

Mark it for camera or bike or both.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The meeting fortunately coincided with me being in Pretoria, up from Cape Town, and feel privileged to having being able to witness Tuesdays meeting first hand. RiverRat, you did good, respect. I am sure that we will be back in Groenkloof soon, enjoying that evening run or ride after work when up here.

Further update,

True to his word the General is delivering, the recent victims have been contacted by Colonel Pieterse of Sunnyside Police Station as a follow up to the arrests that were made and to investigate the non performance of Petoria Central Police station.

Colonel Pieterse has been key in making Klapperkop safe so they're in good hands.

Just picked up this thread now. What an incredible effort and achievement River Rat!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

The only solution to this would be to go in guns ablazing. The entire area around the monument incl unisa, klapperkop and groenkloof must be cleared of squaters and vagrants. It must be declared as a no go zone for any form of informal living. They forfitted any right to live there the moment they started attacking people.

***grammer

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

A couple was attacked yesterday afternoon in Klapperkop. This is despite the increased security we were told about. Sad.

• 3 months later...
Guest notmyname

What's the situation at GK?I've got some mates that want to hike/walk there on Sunday

What's the situation at GK?I've got some mates that want to hike/walk there on Sunday

rather send them to Faerie Glen or Hedianga for a hike, better safe than sorry IMO

Much improved; new razor wire fence; patrols and security in general seems better. Have been back myself cycling over weekends and late afternoon in the week. No visible problems. Saw some hikers and joggers as well

Archived