Safety at Groenkloof Nature Reserve your help is needed.

River Rat

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay ... so is that the crux of the problem?  Is there data on the attacks there? that should be compiled / graphed, and perhaps a supporting document prepared with all the facts of the matter. But one would have to try work with the existing management there, even if it is ineffective, that we cant change in the short term.

You/We should also look at a media campaign: social media is fine to a point, but when you get the top knobs on the air on the likes of 702 being made to answer, things can take a different turn (like at Suikerbosrand a few years ago when they tried to shut out cyclists)

I can try assist where possible, I have some experience in public space / interest campaigns and a few media connections

Damn I am really missing that place, used to drive through about once a month, haven't been for a year.

Should we, at the same time, look  at others strategy of fighting back? Groups of us at the weekend to patrol and work with the security contractors? Assist with fixing fences?

All good ideas. my strategy was to first garner public support before going to the press but I think at 1250 signatures I can say we have created the impetus to do so. Simply put I'm not a singular voice anymore and the numbers are growing as different interest groups start aligning with us.

As for fighting back I believe what we did at Klapperkop is a nice template  but we have to recognize that the circumstances are different in Groenkloof. Because Klapperkop was open access we did not have to ask permission and as such we could take immediate action. If you recall our first step was to get all the parties affected by the situation in Klapperkop together and coordinate our efforts. It helped that we had early success and the perpetrator we caught is still in jail with over 28 cases being investigated against him.

We have two options for Groenkloof if council show the right leadership we need to get behind them and support where we can. If not we need to take the lead but I think you'll agree this quite problematic and frankly I'm up for the fight. But let's hope common sense will prevail and a public private partnership can be initiated to take back the entire area, Fountains and Voortrekker Monument included.

I am sure the likes of 702's JR will go with it, but there should be a designated 'action group' rep who can go on the air and who is up to speed with all the issues and complexities and understands the games the media and other players play etc and will not get agro or stuff it up (not me btw, but its important) .. its also important to have all the facts of the matter compiled and on hand. Information is power.

I am also sure there are a lot of people who feeling strongly about this, and a ready to contribute in whatever way they can. GK is perhaps different to Klappers also in that a lot of uitlanders come there (or used to) .. I even built a bike specially to use there.

Just some interesting stats so far of the 1335 signatures 1% were from foreigners, 20% from non Pretoria residents and the scary part is 13 people have personally been affected by crime in the area.

Our petition has attracted the attention of the media so I expect to hit the general press within the next couple of days.

Had a stink about strategy ...

Firstly what is the outcome we all want? A secure, safe, maintained nature reserve.

What has gone wrong? Well the security problem started before the change of management. What exactly happened there I don't know but it sounds like it went all Pete Tong. But the change of management did not cause the current problem, although it might have allowed it to escalate.

'We' should be very careful and sensitive about getting into a spat about white vs black management, we should seek to do what we can constructively & progressively on all fronts and in all ways possible to move the situation forward. That would certainly mean bringing the matter to the Mayor's urgent attention via the petition and a meeting, but also come up with other plans of action, something we call all do or partake in: work parties to fix fences, radio linked patrols (4x4 & mtb) in conjunction with management, staff and contractors - the reserve is far too valuable to let it go, and once it's abandoned then its easy for those who seek to "develop" it to $tep in.

Could go further like fund raising for electric fencing, perimeter security, killer drones ...

Had a stink about strategy ...

Firstly what is the outcome we all want? A secure, safe, maintained nature reserve.

What has gone wrong? Well the security problem started before the change of management. What exactly happened there I don't know but it sounds like it went all Pete Tong. But the change of management did not cause the current problem, although it might have allowed it to escalate.

'We' should be very careful and sensitive about getting into a spat about white vs black management, we should seek to do what we can constructively & progressively on all fronts and in all ways possible to move the situation forward. That would certainly mean bringing the matter to the Mayor's urgent attention via the petition and a meeting, but also come up with other plans of action, something we call all do or partake in: work parties to fix fences, radio linked patrols (4x4 & mtb) in conjunction with management, staff and contractors - the reserve is far too valuable to let it go, and once it's abandoned then its easy for those who seek to "develop" it to $tep in.

Could go further like fund raising for electric fencing, perimeter security, killer drones ...

Love the typo I also smell funny when I think. ^_^ 

I have no intention of making an issue about the management change but what we need is for whoever is in charge to take our safety seriously. Friends of Groenkloof Nature reserve are well positioned to take up the initiatives you have mentioned but we need council to engage with them constructively. Essentially we have achieved so much more in Klapperkop with far less resource than what is currently available to the management of Groenkloof imagine what we can achieve if they work with us.

Love the typo I also smell funny when I think. ^_^

I have no intention of making an issue about the management change but what we need is for whoever is in charge to take our safety seriously. Friends of Groenkloof Nature reserve are well positioned to take up the initiatives you have mentioned but we need council to engage with them constructively. Essentially we have achieved so much more in Klapperkop with far less resource than what is currently available to the management of Groenkloof imagine what we can achieve if they work with us.

Not a type-ou, a malapropism  :o

Not saying you or anyone else was going make a issue about the change of management, although it could be an easy target but would not achieve much besides a race war, and we got Juju on that case already. Just need sensitivity about the matter given the times we live in.

What an achievement we have managed to get over 2000 signatures in less than 48 hours! Thank you, thank you for all your support it has been fantastic.

So what now? Well this petition plus the support of our ward councilor has led to a public meeting with on the 10th May with the Member of The Mayoral Committee Subesh Pillay. I don't have a venue yet and it's perhaps just as well because our next drive is to get as many people as possible to attend. So it would be useful to know who will be able to attend. I'll give details as soon as i have it.

https://www.change.org/p/the-mayor-of-tshwane-metropolitan-council-make-groenkloof-nature-reserve-safe-now/u/16286129

edit: My turn for a typo the MMC is Subesh Pillay not Subresh apologies.

This morning we had over 2300 signatures and the meeting with the MMC has been confirmed for 10th May at 18:30 we are still finalising the venue. If you signed the petition you will receive an update on the meeting requesting you to comment on whether you will be attending or not so that we can determine what we need to cater for in terms of numbers.

Archived