Shimano 10 speed availability?

eccc whippet

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A fair statement but why all the brand hating if you didn't have any expectations?

One of my pet hates (oh the irony)  is people hating on brands when all they have is half truths and he said/she said crapola.

I'm not surprised you had to go to 4 bikes shops - no shop in their right mind would keep an 8 speed cassette in stock. But Shimano/Coolheat do. Interesting that they tie their cash up in keeping 10 year old parts but get lambasted when you're fed half truths by your LBS.

Ps: Coolheat have a Y16K98040 in stock. Not sure it's the right one but it is 130mm BCD and 42t and middle.... Also the Y1F342000 and a few others. Not sure what crank-set you have.

Like I said perhaps it's time to change your LBS and/or ask questions before jumping to conclusions and going all "social media" on brands.

it backfired on me...i did wait till friday...i did put right at the top of the thread (just kidding) because i dont hate shimano...

in fact dont hate any brand...not scott...not SRAM or any other brand for that  matter...in our group we rag each all day long about scott and  giant...no nastyness is intended...i suppose you need to be a little careful on social media.

I have a suntour crank entry level stuff...that is how the 10 speed topic came up to begin with...i am considering upgrading my old 8 speed trek to a 10 speed 105 ally bike.

today chatting to a mate...he indicated that he cant get 105 10 speed road bike brake levers...yes or no i cant comment as i havent tried.

most of the shops do carry the spare cassette etc...they just didnt have what i was looking for.

there is is the online/ bike shop debate...not even gona go there today...maybe next friday ;)

Edited by isetech

I have no problem getting shimano 10 speed parts , just replaced chain and cassette , the new 10 speed chain box says , ultegra ,dura ace and xt on it . 11-28 is avaliable at eagle canyon cycles .

Scott is a far superior bike...anthems are for people who cant afford decent bikes...it is the only reason i bought a marshmallow...which i am too scared to ride (hence the low mileage) because they crack up.

much like shimano...you cant mix components...otherwise they decline your warranty...due to being used outside of design norms...an excuse to get out of repaired thier crap design.

now to add salt to the wound...they dont sell spare parts...you have to replace the entire unit.

giant must come from the same shop as shimano.

You really are pushing the boundaries of a Friday thread with those one...

it backfired on me...i did wait till friday...i did put right at the top of the thread (just kidding) because i dont hate shimano...

in fact dont hate any brand...not scott...not SRAM or any other brand for that  matter...in our group we rag each all day long about scott and  giant...no nastyness is intended...i suppose you need to be a little careful on social media.

Fair enough. It's no secret I'm a Shimanophile so I probably over reacted.

Is it time to sing kumbaya yet? :thumbup:

I've been hammering my 2013 Trance since I got it. I've even done a few enduros. Sadly I haven't managed to break the frame yet and I'm a phat lad.

So, I don't think Giants are inferior, however a new Pyga or Santa Cruz would be nice

At least one good thing came out of this thread...no need to worry about 10 speed availability...and if your lbs or anyone else tells you otherwise...tell them to contact cool heat...they are the shimano suppliers in SA.

"Upgrade" to a Scott?? :ph34r:

Only possible if you are currently on Bata Toughies........

Sounds like you also need a new bike shop. I'm not sure if LBS' just don't give a crap because there isn't tons of cash in selling old 8 speed stuff or they just couldn't take the time to make the call.

All the big importers like SRAM/Shimano/Rockshox/FOX etc have warehouses of stock and pricelists the length of several arms but for some reason the bike industry seems to be going the way of the car industry - no more repair/replace - it's all NEW NEW NEW.

That's not to say importers are perfect - most of them have been guilty of stock outs on essentials like chains, cassettes, brake pads, rotors etc at some point and/or repeatedly but I do get the feeling it's far easier for the LBS to play the "blame the importer" game than it is to spend some time solving the problem.

Disclaimer: I do find newer and smaller "owner operated shops" putting in the hard yards. Chain stores? Forget it.

Was at three different LBS's for the drivetrain. The freehub was a real pain. Owner operated: 4 stores. Chain stores: 2. Was with the one owner while he called the distributer.

Only possible if you are currently on Bata Toughies........

dont worry i have no intention of upgrading my anthem to a scott...i saved the thread for friday ;) 

I am glad to see only 2 people have had issue with getting shimano parts...next time will contact cool heat (shimano agents in SA) directly.

I am just glad to hear i dont have to upgrade my shimano  8 speed or 10 speed anytime soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

What BS!  I know, it's Friday... 

Shimano still has 8,9 and 10 speed parts available.  Sometimes they go out of stock, but they get them back in again.

If you've honestly been told that you need to buy 11sp because Shimano don't stock anything else, then you've been taken for a ride - certainly more of a ride than your 2015 Anthem has...  :whistling:

It is actually not BS. Although Shimano might still supply the 8,9 and 10spd parts the useless Sa Agents does not have stock available in 10 speed. Spoke to 3 different shops in Jhb this morning to get a 10spd chain (105, ultegra or DuraAce) and a 10 spd Cluster again any of the 3 models. All three were out of stock and if they order the agent said it will only be available by end June as they need to do a special order - but they can supply me 11 speed. What a useless and unhelpful bunch. CWC does have but there delivery will only be here on Monday. So a weekend without cycling due to useless agents.