Help me pimp my Rocky with a new fork...

Myth

So, I have a 2014 Rocky Thunderbolt with Fox (32) CTD 120mm up front.  So far I have found this fork to be pretty much the only limitation to this brilliant do it all bike for me at the moment.  (Refer to an old topic here, not going to go into all the details of why i think this fork sucks, but in essence its a bit floppy:  https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156825-what-sag-are-you-running-on-your-trail-bike/

I considered upgrading the damper on the 2014 Fox to the newer FIT4 damper on recommendation from some folks, but having had some experience now with FIT4 on my other (XC) bike, and its pretty much non-existent small bump compliance, I am thinking of ditching FOX altogether and taking the plunge on a Rockshox fork.  I am not very well versed with Rockshox forks as all my previous bikes had Foxes.  So please help me choose a suitable fork.  So far what i have found  to (perhaps) be compatible are:

Pike 650b 130mm

Revelation 650b 130mm

Reba 650b 120mm

What i can deduct from the RS website is that the Reba is 32mm and for XC (thus possibly ruled out), while the Revelation is a 32mm trail fork (most likely closest to what I currently have in the Fox) and the Pike is a 35mm AM fork.  The 35mm Pike obviously comes at a slight weight penalty (don't care), but what are the significant differences in "feel" between these forks?  Travel is mostly the same, so there must be something else in terms of adjustability and/or feel that sets them apart?  

I use this bike mostly for trail riding, however lately i have started pushing perhaps a bit into the Enduro domain (though I wouldn't say that I'm far into that domain, my abilities are not really that good yet). Saying that, this fork will see pretty much standard trail use probably 70% of the time, should be stiff (the opposite of my current Fox!), predictable, handle corners well and handle small bumps well at high speed (i.e. stick to the trail like stink on dog-sh!t when stuff gets hairy...). 

Please chime in and help me decide!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have a 2014 Rocky Thunderbolt with Fox (32) CTD 120mm up front.  So far I have found this fork to be pretty much the only limitation to this brilliant do it all bike for me at the moment.  (Refer to an old topic here, not going to go into all the details of why i think this fork sucks, but in essence its a bit floppy:  https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156825-what-sag-are-you-running-on-your-trail-bike/

I considered upgrading the damper on the 2014 Fox to the newer FIT4 damper on recommendation from some folks, but having had some experience now with FIT4 on my other (XC) bike, and its pretty much non-existent small bump compliance, I am thinking of ditching FOX altogether and taking the plunge on a Rockshox fork.  I am not very well versed with Rockshox forks as all my previous bikes had Foxes.  So please help me choose a suitable fork.  So far what i have found  to (perhaps) be compatible are:

Pike 650b 130mm

Revelation 650b 130mm

Reba 650b 120mm

What i can deduct from the RS website is that the Reba is 32mm and for XC (thus possibly ruled out), while the Revelation is a 32mm trail fork (most likely closest to what I currently have in the Fox) and the Pike is a 35mm AM fork.  The 35mm Pike obviously comes at a slight weight penalty (don't care), but what are the significant differences in "feel" between these forks?  Travel is mostly the same, so there must be something else in terms of adjustability and/or feel that sets them apart?  

I use this bike mostly for trail riding, however lately i have started pushing perhaps a bit into the Enduro domain (though I wouldn't say that I'm far into that domain, my abilities are not really that good yet). Saying that, this fork will see pretty much standard trail use probably 70% of the time, should be stiff (the opposite of my current Fox!), predictable, handle corners well and handle small bumps well at high speed (i.e. stick to the trail like stink on dog-**** when stuff gets hairy...). 

Please chime in and help me decide!

have a look at the X Fusion, i have it on my Rocky as my Fox CTD gave in to.

http://www.xfusionshox.com/images/products/2016TraceRL2/2016-trace-rl2-w-1.jpg

Just pray that you do not need help from the local agents

MRP Stage or Pike would get my vote. MRP is slightly cheaper and Bibi (Brenton of Zion bikes) handles them and is fantastic.

Thunderbolt with a stage or Pike would be KILLER. 

This.

DVO is also a great option. Just note that the DVO and MRP are both heavier than the Pike which will influence the bike's balance to a degree, but that's something you will quickly get used to.

Not sure of the RRP's on the 3, but if your money does not reach that far the Rev will be a worthy option to consider. Not quite Pikeness, but still a great fork that's PLENTY stiff and MUCH better than a 32.

MRP Stage or Pike would get my vote. MRP is slightly cheaper and Bibi (Brenton of Zion bikes) handles them and is fantastic.

Thunderbolt with a stage or Pike would be KILLER. 

Easily the two best choices, although I have only ever heard good things about the DVO so also worth considering.

Yeah, actually the DVO would be my ideal fork for pretty much everything. Satisfies the fiddler in me. 

Although the travel adjust just requires a few special tools if you do wanna fiddle with that aspect...

I do want the DVO in Green though ....  :w00t:  Mostly cos I'm gatvol of black :P

I ride the DVO and it is by far the best fork I have ever ridden. I'm glad to see it's getting good mentions here.

We spaced a Diamond down to 140mm and put it on a Pyga 120. Possibly a little overkill for that frame but the owner loves it.