Training on standard cranks, racing Jock on compact

All of the latest research shows that shorter is better.

Across the board, i.e. irrespective of your height.

So 172.5 is better than 175. And 170 is even better.

I'm 6'2" and run a 170mm crank.

Would you post those links please. Could be an interesting read.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So 172.5 is better than 175. And 170 is even better.

I'm 6'2" and run a 170mm crank.

Naaaa, I don't believe it. Sorry.

Are we still talking cranks here??

Are we still talking cranks here??

Hehehe ????

For MTB, a somewhat longer crank is recommended

For greater 'torque' ????

I run 175 for MTB

And 172.5 for road

Most of the reading suggests it's a highly personal choice too

Thanks for all the input guys. Like with everything on the Hub, opinions are divided.

I'm going to try the compact cranks and then I'll also have an opinion to confuse the next guy who asks the question... :whistling:

I guess that, like most things, it's entirely subjective and until I've trued it, I'll never know.

It's my lightys graduation today. Then going out to celebrate. Will post info tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys. Like with everything on the Hub, opinions are divided.

I'm going to try the compact cranks and then I'll also have an opinion to confuse the next guy who asks the question... :whistling:

I guess that, like most things, it's entirely subjective and until I've trued it, I'll never know.

Let us know how it goes, with info on what kind of cyclist you are etc. I'm very interested in this topic . And what your experience is with the shorter cranks.

52/36 with 28/11 that you're not dropped at top end speed but climb way easier than with a 39.  

I have seen 52/34 once but you will need a chain catcher and a prayer when you shift down me thinks

52/36 with 28/11 that you're not dropped at top end speed but climb way easier than with a 39.  

I have seen 52/34 once but you will need a chain catcher and a prayer when you shift down me thinks

I'm no real "elite" cyclist (more middle of the bunch) but I cannot recall ever being dropped at top end due to me spinning out, but rather that I ran out of legs. This include a good few training rides with the Durbanville Giant guys. 

Riding a compact 50/34 with 11-25 cassette.

Archived