Willow Creek Computer Mania 60k

Mamil

The route is not very technical, the first half is shared with the 30km route and consists of jeep track and a bit of single track with 2 steepish climbs.

Second half where the two routes split consists of more jeep track, some vinyard riding and a bit of district road. After you get of the last piece of district road you get 2 or 3 big rocky climbs towards the tower and the last waterpoint. This is about the most technical part of the route as these are quite steep climbs that consists of lots of loose rocks and water erosion in the road.

Also be weary of the new piece of single track in the first 6km as it is very new and the surface stil has to be compacted. I rode there a couple of weeks ago and tried to rail one of the berms, only to have the whole top half of the berm give way under my front wheel.

I'm looking forward to the event as last year I wasn't very fit and a lot weaker on the climbs. I had to push most of those last few hills. Hoping that this year will be a different story with my improved form.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Edited by BenReaper

Morning. 

I want to do it for training purposes. Benreaper, what was your time in the saddle for the 60km?

Slanghoek

Louis

Morning.

I want to do it for training purposes. Benreaper, what was your time in the saddle for the 60km?

Slanghoek

Louis

Hi Louis, my time on the 60km route last year was just under 3hours.My time on the 30km route the year before that was around 1:30.

When we rode the route a couple of weeks ago we only did the 30km route and it was a casual a fair, so didn't really worry about timing.

Wow BenReaper - Thanks for your detailed informative reply. That kind of time is beyond me completely. I am very slow - a 45k ride recently took me 3.30 so when you say not so technical or difficult it probably means something different to me than it does to you  :thumbup:

Has the field in the past had riders of all sorts of abilities?  I like the challenge of the longer distance but I don't want to find myself in a field made up only of fast guys like yourself!

Hi Louis, my time on the 60km route last year was just under 3hours.My time on the 30km route the year before that was around 1:30.
When we rode the route a couple of weeks ago we only did the 30km route and it was a casual a fair, so didn't really worry about timing.

Wow BenReaper - Thanks for your detailed informative reply. That kind of time is beyond me completely. I am very slow - a 45k ride recently took me 3.30 so when you say not so technical or difficult it probably means something different to me than it does to you [emoji106]

Has the field in the past had riders of all sorts of abilities? I like the challenge of the longer distance but I don't want to find myself in a field made up only of fast guys like yourself!

Not nearly as fast as you think Mamil,the top guys were about 45min faster than me. Look at it this way, you have 4hours to comlete the distance, so you only have to do about 15km/h to finish before cut off.Here are some screenshots of my Strava recording. c09570397db78f130fbd0867648d4e93.jpg04b67ce3671bca6107d96a6ef5eb54fe.jpg

Well BenReaper - I will be pleased to finish in 4 hours and even if I'm stone last I reckon I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for all the info and I hope you haven't had too many beers by the time I cross the line!

Not nearly as fast as you think Mamil,the top guys were about 45min faster than me. Look at it this way, you have 4hours to comlete the distance, so you only have to do about 15km/h to finish before cut off.Here are some screenshots of my Strava recording. c09570397db78f130fbd0867648d4e93.jpg04b67ce3671bca6107d96a6ef5eb54fe.jpg

Well BenReaper - I will be pleased to finish in 4 hours and even if I'm stone last I reckon I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for all the info and I hope you haven't had too many beers by the time I cross the line!

My pleasure Mamil, I'm sure you'll enjoy the race and don't worry to much about the timing though, let's leave that for the racing snakes. [emoji4]

So who did the event and how was it for you? I started to develop a cold on Friday, but decided to push on with the 60km this morning.

Within the first 10k's I felt I had to take it easy.I caught up with a few slower buddys and stuck with them throughout the race.

I managed to peddle out every climb except the top half of the last climb after the Breedenet waterpoint.My time could have been better, but I'm happy with what I did in my state of health,even though I was slower than last year.

I was there and loved it. I'm a back marker and was happy to make the cutoff. Inconceivable to me how anyone could pedal up those hills so hats off BenReaper. A nice ride and I will be back in 2017.

BTW,the downhill after those huge climbs was also pretty intense. Friendly crowd too.

Was a great ride with lots and lots of insane lucky draw prizes. TV, laptop, tablets, cell phones, printers, headsets etc...insane i tell u!. As for the 60km route, it was a gravel grinder with some nice loose climbs. Any1 know what was the recorded total elevation gained?

Did the 60km. Went out too hard at the beginning and it almost bit me hard at the end, but did a 2:47, so i'm happy with that. The elevation from my polar is the same as recorded above.

• 11 months later...

Did this race again today - it really is worth the long drive - although it was 52k not 60k as advertised.

Lovely Karoo scenery - and I thought about the other thread about mastering rocky climbs as I dismounted three or four times on my way up to that mast. Jislaaik what a hill - and the downhill on the other side isn't for sissies either.

I will do it again next year.