Thickness of tyre (MTB)

wessel

There is little mention so far of the effect of the increased volume of air and the ability to then run a softer tyre = smoother ride, especially if you are on a hard tail on a long ride. Also if you ride tubeless you can go softer still - endless permutations.

My rule is - if wet go thinner.  

- long dry - go wider

- mixed or unknown - go middle of the road

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us sits on DS bikes . Air pressure is not big an issue for comfort but more so for traction/terrain .

Guest Big H
Reports on the mountain kings has been very good and I can not wait to get sponsored a set !

Is the Mountain Kings not a soft compound tyre that does not last very long? ........ where-as the Gravity is a hard working tyre that lasts long???????

I have a Mountain King at the Front and a Speed King at the back, best combo ever. 800 minium wear.

Go to  http://www.bicicletta.co.za/ and at the bottom left download the document "Why Fatter Tires are Faster".

Finally proof for what we've been trying to convince weight weenie XC racers.

Low pressure UST tires are the way to go. Rear 2.1, front 2,35 is perfect for general riding...IMO

Thinner for XC and wider for freeride/durability/handling and mud.  2.1 is best all round width, then just play with your pressures.

Donno how soft the Mkings are but if the claims to grip are true then I assume it must be a relative soft tyre .

I'll cast my vote for playing with tyre pressures first as well.

I used to think my Kenda Karmas sucked until I dropped the pressures - now I love them!

Hog_2008-05-06 03:38:53

Mud and wide tyres does not mix well .

Then why come I don't see these MPV's / 4X4's with thin tyres on safaries?Wink same goes for MotorBikes.

Did not know you had a 4x4 MTB ? Or do you put out the same power at your crank at the 4x4 ? Does your 4x4 worry about shedding mud ? Can your 4x4 sink 15cm into the mud and still move forward ? So many questions so little answers . Anyway a 4x4 performs much better in the mud with skinny tyres than with fat ones . Again it is not something I saw on discovery , it is something I do when I get very bored smiley36.gif

Hog' date=' you running tubeless?[/quote']

Not yet - will be doing the conversion when I pick get the wheels I bought off Azonic. I used to run my pressures over 3 bar before I got a pump with a gauge - the front tyre would start sliding when you looked at a corner funny. My last ride I had them at around 2,3 bar and the bike felt great! I've had them even lower, but managed to get a few pinch-flats on some of the drops at Logwood.

Errrrrrrr. Have you never ridden with a pat pancake of mud stuck to your tyres that just wont come off?Confused

If not then you clearly have tyres that shed mud well. As for my 4x4, it also worries about shedding mud. Just not very practical driving with those biscuits found on old Landies. And anyway, tourists want big tyres.