Squealing Disc Brakes

Furbz

Anyone have a solution to this?

i have XT disc brakes.

the front set squeals like a pig.

i have removed the brake pads and given them a light bit of brushing to clear any obvious embedded bits.

(i didn't see any)

have also cleaned and checked the surface of my disc. (again looks good to me)

bought the bike new. have done around 1000km on the bike thus far.

still squealing like no-ones business.

:lol: maybe i should put oil on them!!  :lol:

:stupid: :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid:  :stupid:

thanks in advance!

Squeaks...rattles and squeals...I hate them all

Tighten up the bolts attaching the disk to the hub and if that doesn't work 

Swap the pads around put the front pads in the rear see if it makes any difference.

I had the same problem; also a Shimano front brake and not many km's done. The squealing was so bad that my brakes sounded like a siren.

I did the usual like clean the rotors and clean the pads with alcohol and sand them but it didn't work. Eventually I discovered the caliper had a tiny crack in it causing a minor oil leak.

I replaced the caliper and the problem was solved.

To sum it up, the squealing is usually caused by contaminated pads but the contamination is often caused by a leak.

There is plenty info on this in previous threads. Do a search.

In short, get some brake cleaner (ethanol) take out pads and rotor, spray them liberally and then set them on fire. Then lightly sand both pads and rotor.

Then replace pads and rotor (do not touch either braking surfaces with your fingers), go find a long hill, ride to the top then ride down get to about 40kph then pull the brake till about 10kph and repeat about 5 times the brake power should increase after each use.

Remove the pads, apply a bit of copper slip to the back (on the metal casing), and put them back. 

Worked for me

Put the pads metal side down on the stove till they smoke. Put the rotor on a tile poor spirits on it it and set it alight. Works like new

What I did that worked (much in the various replies above)

1.Check that calliper is not loose or damaged

2. Take pads out, wash them with Sunlight dish liquid by putting some on them, wetting slightly and rubbing the braking surface vigorously until very clean. Rinse and repeat, rinse again

3. Wipe rotor with dry micro-fibre cloth

4. Then clean rotor with surgical spirits with a micro-fibre cloth

5. Wipe again with a dry micro-fibre cloth.

6. Replace pads

7. Ride and hope it all works. In my case, it did!

Done on Shimano XT

You could also switch to resin pads, assuming you're running metal at the moment.

Resin

Ups: is quieter, stops sharper, less rotor wear

Downs: doesn't last as long (a single muddy ride can finish them)

Metal

Ups: Lasts longer

Downs: Can be noisy, especially when wet, slightly less stopping power, more rotor wear

I can't seem to find my post from some time ago (not even in archives), but it is something I did that sorted the problem, also I have heard the same thing has worked with others.

Basically make sure that the pads are properly lined up with the main section of the disc, so that they are not running over the fins that lead to the bolt section.  Rather have them over the outside of the disc slightly. You can see this by wear on the fins, I lifted mine a mere 1mm with spacers under the caliper bolt section, never had noise after that (except first few brake pulls in the wet conditions).

There was a pic I drew explaining this all if you want to try and find it in archives, but ja, I couldn't.

Hope this helps.

I can't seem to find my post from some time ago (not even in archives), but it is something I did that sorted the problem, also I have heard the same thing has worked with others.

Basically make sure that the pads are properly lined up with the main section of the disc, so that they are not running over the fins that lead to the bolt section.  Rather have them over the outside of the disc slightly. You can see this by wear on the fins, I lifted mine a mere 1mm with spacers under the caliper bolt section, never had noise after that (except first few brake pulls in the wet conditions).

There was a pic I drew explaining this all if you want to try and find it in archives, but ja, I couldn't.

Hope this helps.

i get what you mean. i'll check when i get home today.

will also try a few of the methods posted here and revert back

Nobody has mentioned Glazed pads and a glazed rotor...

If you have a trigger friendly front brake finger the pads and the rotor often become glazed, smooth as though it has a seal on it.  Often rubbing the pads and the rotor with a super fine glass sand paper works a treat as well.

And remember to stop pulling your brakes all the time, use them like ABS brakes and control your speed.

The contamination as mentioned often happens when guys cook their brakes from pulling them gently for 10 minutes down a long descent.

Good luck though. Having annoying noises on your bike really sucks.

Archived