Critérium du Dauphiné 2016

tombeej

The latest chapter in the Froome vs Contador story opens this coming Sunday (5th June).

The 68th edition of the Critérium du Dauphiné commences with a short 3.9km Prologue, followed by 7 tough mountainous stages.

Besides Froome and Contador, the list of GC candidates is full of heavy hitters:

Fabio Aru

Mikel Landa

Joaquin Rodriguez

Romain Bardet

Thibaut Pinot

Richie Porte

Louis Meintjes

Ryder Hesjedal

Bauke Mollema

Adam Yates

Dan Martin

Pierre Rolland

This is going to be a cracker, folks  :thumbup:

post-22004-0-55520800-1464886574_thumb.jpg

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sprinters:

Alexander Kristoff
John Degenkolb
Nacer Bouhanni
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Simon Gerrans
Luke Rowe
Moreno Hofland
Niccolo Bonifazio
Edited by tombeej

The opportunists:

Greg Van Avermaet
Ian Stannard
Julian Alaphilippe
Niki Terpstra
Michal Kwiatkowski
Tony Gallopin
Roman Kreuziger
Edited by tombeej

Taking place on some of the terrain the Tour de France will cover in July, the Dauphiné is an excellent opportunity to test form – both within the team, but also of the rivals for the Tour GC. 

Contador:

"It has been a busy past few weeks, trying to build a good base, always thinking about the Tour de France," he said. "I primarily worked on building my strength and I hope everything goes well. The Dauphiné will be important to build speed in the legs, which is what will still be missing the most, but the most important thing is that there haven't been any setbacks and that's always good news.

"Similar to other years, my approach will be a bit different to the early-season races, because the goal is to fine-tune my body for the Tour de France. Of course, a lot of work has already been done and that will be seen, but there will be tough days in which I will be able to see where I stand compared to the rivals. After the Dauphiné is over, I will know whether I have to give more intensity to my training or if we have to be a little more cautious."

The main favourites to take the prologue (and with it, the right to wear the yellow jersey into stage 1):

Rohan Dennis
Tony Martin

Correction: I've just had a look at the profile of the Prologue.

This is for the climbers:

post-22004-0-98498800-1464888290_thumb.jpg

Team Sky have announced their final lineup for the race, and they're not messing about! This is one heck of a strong team.