2 Quick Tech Questions

Odinson

Two quick tech questions, if y'all don't mind.

I'm putting on a new SRAM NX drivetrain on my bike, which replaces a 2X9 set-up. The current BB is an ISIS drive sealed cartridge variant. After removing the cranks and left spindled lockring, I'm stuck on the drive-side lockring. That SOB will not budge. To my understanding, the drive-side lockring should loosen in a clockwise direction - is that correct? 

Lastly, my bike's got a 68mm BB shell. With a GXP BB, how should I place the two spacers that come with the BB?

Yes you are correct. It's a left hand thread. Edit: unless you have an Italian thread BB

As for the spacers that depends on chainline and clearance issues. It a trile and error sort of thing. start on the drive side and once that's sorted then space out the non-drive side untill thee is no lateral play in the cranks.

Thanks, Spoke.

Thought as much. The bike is a 2015 Commencal Meta AM HT, so I don't think it would have an Italian threaded BB.

Guess I'll have to invest in some penetrating lube and serious elbow grease.

Find a friend. Remove the wheels form the bike. Grip the BB tool in a vice, and while your friend holds the BB down onto the tool, use the frame as a lever to unscrew it.

As for the spacers - 2.5mm on each side is a good starting point. Adjust for correct chainline as needed.

You can also try using a heat gun from the other side of the BB. Don't let it get to hot as you don't want to damage the paint.

Archived