Tzaneen trails - Best in SA!

Samurai Pizza Cat

My "Trip Advisor" review: ;)

We spend a fantastic weekend riding Remi's trails in Tzaneen and ... WOW!

The trails are just insane...it's hard describe in words. Jumps, berms, steep sections, rock gardens, step downs, step ups, gaps , gaps and more gaps. The flow is just perfect and you only really need to pedal when you want to clear a step up or one of the bigger jumps. Remi created a work of art. The jumps and drops are perfectly incorporated with the natural features that already exists ie a jump will be built against a big boulder.

Although everything was build from scratch, with loads of man made features like a steep drop that exit in a mini gap jump over a stream, it never feels like your typical bmx-style flow trail. It feels exactly how mountain bikiking should be. Riding in a forest, down a hill, with cool features that keeps you entertained for a whole day or week for that matter. I cannot stop smiling...it's the kind of trail that you pay good money to go and ride in Europe or on the North Shore.

There are currently three (Enduro) lines from the top of the mountain. The climb is not that bad, and we found it less draining than Jonkershoek. From top to bottom takes about 4-5min if you are pinning it, but in reality it takes hours. There is just so many sections that you want to redo. To hook up a fairly steep rock garden with a drop / jump - rock drop - jump - bigger jump - small jump - drop - tricky rock drop - drop - another small jump and then finally a big step up....you need to session that bit over and over. And the trails are littered with pieces like this. We spend 6-7hours riding two days in row, and most of it was going down hill.

Remi spent two days "guiding" and riding with us, showing us the best lines to ride, explaining how to tackle some of the more daunting features and even doing some impromptu changes to some of the jumps to make it better. He also swept the track the day before our arrival to make it "nicer" for us. (Yeah, he really did :w00t: )

All of this cost the some total of R 0,00. Nothing. No trail fees, he just wanted us to ride on his trails. We gave a trail contribution when we departed, but it was not asked for and was only accepted under duress.

Some practical info: These trails are obviously for experienced, skilled riders only. Although there are B lines around all the jumps and advanced features, you will struggle if you have never jumped, or have never ridden down a fairly steep drop. It is advisable to bring all your protection: Full face helmet, knee guards, elbow guards and maybe even back protection. We stayed in Magoebaskloof where there is loads of accommodation (25-30min from the trails.) There are also many accommodation options in Tzaneen, about 5/10 min from the trails. As I said there are only three very entertaining lines: do not expect the Portes du Soleil.

Contact Remfactor here on the hub if you want to go ride the trails.

I'll post a vid some time this week.

Edited by Samurai Pizza Cat

Thanks Rudolph, it was nice to have you with Phia and the others. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.
We must do it again sometime!!

Edited by remfactor

Well said!! I couldnt agree more.

Its a real pity that the local riders doesnt appreciate his work...at all. Building himself all from scratch...we had some great times, nice halfway stop under the trees, with beers and good company!!

Truly great riding, and hope to see you soon!!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Spending a few days in Tzaneen this December. Could you please give more info regarding the trails. Where i can find them etc. I'll be staying in Magoebaskloof.

Thanks.

Hi guys, the entrance to the trails is on the Agatha road (D523) about a kilometre after the fire station, on the right hand side opposite the landfill site.

I rode yesterday in pristine conditions. Today might be a bit greasy in places after tonight rain...

Let me know when you want to ride there so I can advise you on the conditions/show you around/join you.

You can contact me on 0832770101

Remi

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can vouch for the trails being amongst the best I've ever ridden.  I was lacking the courage for the gaps, but by far some of the most exciting and flowy trails around.

Thanks for the ride Remi and more so for what you have done and are still doing out there every week to build, improve and maintain those trails.  It is truly remarkable and even more so being your own one-man creation!

• 2 weeks later...

post-30907-0-40581400-1494594371_thumb.jpg

The vandalised bridge at the Mamba drop is fixed and working better than ever!!!

I can vouch for the trails being amongst the best I've ever ridden.  I was lacking the courage for the gaps, but by far some of the most exciting and flowy trails around.

Thanks for the ride Remi and more so for what you have done and are still doing out there every week to build, improve and maintain those trails.  It is truly remarkable and even more so being your own one-man creation!