GPS bike computers. Which one?

Reden

Since Polar nailed us with older computers I'm in the upgrade zone.

Quick comparisons. Prices are just what I found or heard of and not necessary the lowest.

Polar M450 GPS R2595 (R3595) +R1800 for sensors.

Garmin Edge GPS 520 R7400. Sensors incl. Ant +

Sigma Rox 10.0 GPS R3250. Sensors incl. Ant +

Bryton???

I'm keen on the Sigma. The Small size would suit me for the MTB.

I fit it on the stem for protection. The large Garmin might not fit there.

Any other advice?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can find one, and are not too fussed about colour screens and full "mapped" navigation, I would recommend the Edge 500 in the bundled version. Comes with premium Garmin HR strap, cadence/speed sensor and quarter turn o=ring secured mounts.

Really solid unit that's very easy to use.

if you shop around you will find a garmin 520 for around R6500 new 

i am at a point where i need to wear a hrm and fit a cadence sensor but my budget is a little tight...i considered a polar product...but i am going to rather get a edge 25 which will end up on my anthem when i get a 520...the reason i have considered the edge 25 is because i can make a plan with a strap and use it if i decide to go for a run because it is small enough...there are sensors available and they are compatible.

some people might say why dont you just wait and get a 520...we not all that that spend bracket...R2500 compared to R6500 is a huge bite...if i could find a edge 500 at a reasonable price i would have also considered it.

The little edge 25 does what the 520 does, except for colour screen, live KOM's and the ability to add a power meter.

as Isetech says, for the price, it really is great value. also small enough to nestle on the stem nicely.

Had the Garmin Edge 500 and loved it. 

Upgraded to the Edge 520, solely for the Bluetooth compatibility, and love it even more.

Awesome device, and not really much bigger than the 500.

You won't regret getting this, trust me.

Garmin!

Best GPS units money can buy.

As mentioned above, the unit you buy will be dependent on your needs. If you don't use a power meter, then get the Edge 25.

Garmin. After sales service is great. Bust my 510 screen, and paid R1700 and got it swapped out for a 520.... Two failed Vivosmarts swapped out with no questions asked, one even to the new HR unit at no cost.

a note...the edge 25 bundle only has a hrm...no cadence sensor...which you can get for +/- R500 if you shop around.

The Garmin Edge 25's display seems to be more simpler than the Polar CS600x I'm using at the moment. I do stand corrected.

Price is a function too. If money was not a criteria the Edge 520 would do but I'm not bothered with colour screens ect. The Sigma seems to be what I'm looking at except for the battery life.

I cant find the physical size of the Edge 520 and Sigma Rox 10.0 for comparison.

Archived