Mtb trails kromriver cederberg

Trance Dance

Hi, has anyone ridden the trails at kromriver? I see that there are a number of trails to ride. We only have time to ride one and not sure which of the two long trails to do. Looking to do the needful with the most gnarly single track and least jeep track.

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Hi there. Heading there this weekend, any tips?

Just go to Sanddrif up the road and ride there. Up the hill to under the Wolfberg climbing wall, then along. Loads of maps there and reasonably fun stuff, although not v tech. But pretty :)

There are some trails started at Sanddrif. I really enjoyed them.

http://www.sanddrif.com/mountain-biking-trail-running/

The Wolfberg trails is short, but the most fun if you enjoy technical section that are labelled as "portage" i.e. carry your bike, but they are rideable if you have a dropper post and like slow technical descents.

Then the Klihuis trail is also fun, and you can link it to the others when you reach the dirt road, half way.

https://www.sanddrif.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/CederbergMapA4.jpg

Edited by greg_sa

I stayed at Sanddrif earlier this year (before the lock down). The trials there are surprisingly fun. I was expecting lots of wide open "dual singletrack" but there was actually quite a bit of single track. Even the jeep tracks were a bit tricky to ride, but fun. Be ready to keep the pace up in a few extended sand patches :)

if you enjoy technical stuff, you can totally ride all the "portage sections", in fact they were the best parts in my opinion. Just don't go full blast the first time down, the rocks can be a bit sketch in places. No jumps (or berms for that matter) that I can recall, just lekker natural stuff.

The staff at the Sanddrif farmhouse where you book in or buy permits have maps and can direct you to the trails.

Enjoy

if you enjoy technical stuff, you can totally ride all the "portage sections", in fact they were the best parts in my opinion. Just don't go full blast the first time down, the rocks can be a bit sketch in places. No jumps (or berms for that matter) that I can recall, just lekker natural stuff.

Totally agree.. the portage sections are awesome!

The trails are quite "raw" - no jumps and berms. A lot of it is like a hiking trail that is rideable.

Edited by greg_sa

There are some trails started at Sanddrif. I really enjoyed them.

http://www.sanddrif.com/mountain-biking-trail-running/

The Wolfberg trails is short, but the most fun if you enjoy technical section that are labelled as "portage" i.e. carry your bike, but they are rideable if you have a dropper post and like slow technical descents.

Then the Klihuis trail is also fun, and you can link it to the others when you reach the dirt road, half way.

https://www.sanddrif.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/CederbergMapA4.jpg

yes what he said. I've ridden there quite a few times. Really lekker rough natural trails.

I was at Krom Rivier a couple of weeks ago and spoke to Derik about the trails (mostly to find out if we could go from farm to Stadsaal but avoid the "main road" - alas that isn't an option).

They have about 20KM of trail around the farm and you can get quite far along the river with some portage sections. 

Coming down Krom Rivier pass is fun, watch out for some of the construction vehicles coming and going though.

The sugarloaf loop at Kromriver looks like fun. I've never done it as we generally ride the Sandrif trails. If you ride Sandrif, be sure to do the black loop.

Another fun trail is the path that runs parallel to the pass just before Nuwerus camp site. It's pretty fast and loose.

The other fun trail to ride is the old Uitkyk pass. Get dropped at the top and picked up at the bottom of possible!

The sugarloaf loop at Kromriver looks like fun. I've never done it as we generally ride the Sandrif trails. If you ride Sandrif, be sure to do the black loop.

It's mostly rough farm jeep track out, but you get into some beautiful secluded areas where you can pretend the world doesn't exist, some fun single track back down into the river valley on the way back.  All pretty raw and no manicured, for me a plus. Nothing too technical.