Is this a crack

Alastair_S1D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go ride it again. If possible, do a jump or two. If it breaks, its a crack. If not, well, then its not

????

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Guest notmyname

Go ride it again. If possible, do a jump or two. If it breaks, its a crack. If not, well, then its not

????

This is possibly the worst advice ever issued on this forum. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This is possibly the worst advice ever issued on this forum. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Obviaaaslee said in jest

I highly doubt that carbon would crack so cleanly and evenly as that...I would put that down to a crack in the clear coat. Remember that carbon can flex to extremes without breaking (that is the one nice property of carbon) but in general paint is very brittle and cannot flex, hence you get paint cracks...To demonstrate this concept, paint a piece of stiff plastic and flex the plastic when the paint has dried...

But to put your mind at ease take it to PG Carbon repairs/Bogus or someone to take the clear coat off and inspect the carbon underneath...I think that you may get charged for a respray touch up that's all...

Also don't forget that if that is a carbon crack all the way round like that then the bike would have been making some sort of creaking or other unpleasant noises..

I'm no expert at Carbon but I would imagine that if that was a crack in the carbon (all the way round) it would have had a structural failure as well. I suspect it is just the clear coat but get it to a proper carbon repairer t assess. Not worth risking life and limb based on guesswork.

Another way to check is to squeeze the offending area quite hard (thumb and forefinger- no pliers) and see if the "crack" opens up, or if the area is soft and crunchy, if it does then the carbon is cracked, if not and the tube is still rigid and cannot be flexed locally then the carbon is still fine...

Give it a hefty stomp with your foot. If it was a crack then it will break. If it wasn't a crack well then now it is a crack and you should repair it.

Sorry to high jack the thread. 

Do these look like cracks in the carbon? 

Old Bianchi frame that insurance did not claim for salvage! 

TOP TUBE

post-43518-0-65954400-1468228408_thumb.jpg

DOWN TUBE

post-43518-0-05174400-1468228440_thumb.jpg

Would love to turn this into a single speed commuter if the frame is structurally sound. 

Give it a hefty stomp with your foot. If it was a crack then it will break. If it wasn't a crack well then now it is a crack and you should repair it.

:w00t:  :clap:  :clap: :clap:  LOL 

made my morning you funny nutter :thumbup:

Archived