Which Tubby

Capri Wheeler

Hey Hubbers

The new race season is weeks away so I just took the love of my life out of storage - my beautiful racing wheels.

I left them unpumped so the tubbies are absolutely shredded.

I have the option of the following tubbies.

If you have used any of these or preferably more than 1 so you can compare, please let me know your thoughts.

I doubt I will go for the high-end ones but just left them there for a comparison.

Bear in mind they will only be used for racing so that's my main consideration - will maybe put a bit of sludge in them.

Am mainly looking at the Continental Sprinter vs the Vredenstein Fortezza (not the Senzo)

Vredestein Fortezza 23C @ R1240 (incl.)

Vredestein Fortezza Senzo 23C @R1750 (incl.)

Continental Sprinter 23C @ R1020 (incl.)

Continental Sprinter Gatorskin @ R1090 (incl.)

Continental SPrinter Competition @ R1710 (incl.)

I'm running Conti

But 25c

Very happy

I only hear good things about Vredestein

And cool things about Vittoria

I've gone for slightly heavier tubs

Slightly more durable

I bought a pair of FMB Tubbies cheaply from a hubber some years ago and they really are the canines testicles. But at $160 a pop there will not be a subsequent purchase.

(http://www.fmbtires.com/)

However, I have also used Conti Competitions which are great. I may even have a unused pair which I could part with. Let me know and I'll see what I have in the cupboard.

Conti sprinter gatorskin no slime. Had no problems in 8 months. After each ride I just superglue to seal the cuts and inflate before I ride.

Thinking of going back to tubbies just because I didn't expierence any problems

Keep an eye on CWC specials - they often have the Conti's on markdown.

Benefits of slime in tubbies appears inconclusive.

Some also promote the seal/inflate canisters as an alternative.

I recently replaced a pair of worn out Veloflex Carbon tubbies with Conti Competition's and must admit that I miss the Veloflex.

Unfortunately, difficult to get in SA and at price premium but the ride quality was superior.

I also ride Conti Rallye and Giro (on my older retro bikes), Tufo S33 pro's and a set of Vittoria Evo's.

Vittoria Pista's on the track.

Happy with all of them but the Veloflex shine out. Reason, very smooth almost like they are flat and so road vibration is not so noticeable. The hardest ride are the Competition's but they are great tyres on smooth roads.

Continental Sprinter Gatorskins were on special a week ago at R650 a tubby.

So that would be best bet ;-)