Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Harvesting starts in F block tomorrow. Trails signage is already out. Please note that Home Jerome/Harries/flat Track/Fast Track Ext/Goblins Glen/Oopsie Daisy/Lurker Lane/Red Face Hill and other trails are all closed. No riding permitted!

Trail forks has been updated

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harvesting starts in F block tomorrow. Trails signage is already out. Please note that Home Jerome/Harries/flat Track/Fast Track Ext/Goblins Glen/Oopsie Daisy/Lurker Lane/Red Face Hill and other trails are all closed. No riding permitted!

Trail forks has been updated

TRAIL UPDATE : Please note that the Curries Post Loading Zone is active. This is the area at the top of Yellow Brick Rd. Access is strictly prohibited as there are timber trucks loading. No riding, no parking, no entry at all. You may ride up Yellow Brick Rd but need to turn off BEFORE reaching the loading zone.

Details available at https://www.trailforks.com/region/howick-mtb-trails

FDI : 25/09/2017

FDI today is RED

All trails closed due to high winds and increased fire danger. Please remain off all trails

• 1 month later...

Some good news this morning..

The Sappi Howick Enduro has been awarded Provincial Series status for 2018. It will be the 1st event in 2018 KZN MTB Provincial Enduro Series, taking place on 3 March 2018.

The event will be hosted from http://www.11karkloof.co.za/. Accommodation is available at the venue so no reason not to stay over and give the 20km or 40km Classic event a try the following day (4 March 2018)

Details will follow as they are concluded and confirmed. 

Hi, Can someone please help me with renting a mtb in the area?

Ideally a large frame full suspension with disks.

I come up every holiday, so I know the area. Just looking to rent a proper bike this time in order to get the most out of the trails :)

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Can someone please help me with renting a mtb in the area?

Ideally a large frame full suspension with disks.

I come up every holiday, so I know the area. Just looking to rent a proper bike this time in order to get the most out of the trails :)

thanks

Hey Brian

Unfortunately there are no bike rentals in the immediate area. I do think there is great potential for this but with the cash outlay for a stable of bikes and the interminably rental market it just hasn't happened yet.

Our first Trail Day Work Party went off really well on Saturday. We have started clearing and re-opening Puffadder Pass after the harvesting/salvage operations. A few lines will be changed but be assured it will be as challenging as before... with amazing views over Albert Falls dam. Please note that trail is being cleared for when the area re-opens and at this stage the area remains closed as timber hauling is still taking place. If you are keen to join us for the next clearing day please contact us.. all are welcome!

post-7405-0-45308200-1512918666_thumb.jpg

post-7405-0-63052700-1512918679_thumb.jpg

post-7405-0-07585700-1512918693_thumb.jpg

post-7405-0-20101000-1512918716_thumb.jpg

Hey Dean

Harvesting/Hauling is still taking place at Sheeps Pass (North side of Firetower) as well as below Fireower (South side) so at the moment no.

All the down runs from Firetower (Crank Alley/Kathryns/Pines/Gums) are affected as they either go into harvesting areas or cross over hauling routes.

The Face/Face extension doesn't even exist anymore :( Its been totally harvested and the timber debris have covered up the trail to the extent that you cant even see it.

As mentioned in the previous post we are getting into several of the closed sections as the harvesting nears completion. This is so that as soon as the harvesting is finished we can re-open the trail. We also making use of the opportunity to revitalize some older trails as both bikes and riding techniques have changed. 

The good news.. we will have several areas back in time for the Howick Enduro and Classic in March so expect some pleasent surprises :)

Edited by Griffin

• 3 weeks later...

We have been clearing Puffadder Pass in preparation for re-opening. Without the trees it looks totally different !

Some real hard work getting through the timber debris and under growth.

post-7405-0-92959200-1514995775_thumb.jpg

post-7405-0-78076500-1514995793_thumb.jpg

post-7405-0-11168200-1514995853_thumb.jpg

post-7405-0-86718400-1514995875_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifnew logo5.png

Gearing up for 2018

That logo is looking really cool.

I'll be in Howick this weekend, any good Enduro options? I've only ridden some of the trails by Currys Post and need something new.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Shot Bolognius ! 

Have a look at Trail Forks for some options. Did you ride the Howick Enduro last Sept ? Those trails are still all open and accessible. 

https://www.trailforks.com/region/howick-mtb-trails/

Enduro routes open in G block include 

- Jelly Tot

- WTF

- Helter Skelter

- Quarry 

Just note that they may be 100% clear as we have been concentrating on re-clearing some of the trails that were closed during harvesting

As a side note : the Enduro on 3 March 2018 will be 5 stages, including 2 brand new ones. It will also be back in the areas that have been closed for the past year .. and the harvesting has given us the opportunity to find some new lines and rocks :)  Its also the 1st round of the KZN Provincial Enduro Series

Edited by Griffin