Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Thanks Griffin. Stoked that the XCO is on will go and check. Did a ride today and the trails are just awesome. Got to the start of WTF and decided "not today" ????????

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Griffin. Stoked that the XCO is on will go and check. Did a ride today and the trails are just awesome. Got to the start of WTF and decided "not today"

You and me both ... there is good reason its called WTF ;) lol

Jonno will be working on WTF tomorrow  clearing some lurker stumps so give it a bash again sometimes soon :) Its winter so its still pretty loose and dry out there

Just so you have the best spectator option at Cascades this weekend :

Fri : Enduro

Sat SA Cup XCO (Jnr World Series)

Sun : SA Cup DHi

Thanks Griffin. I went to watch the elite men on Saturday. Amazing to see the speed and skill these guys possess. Alan Hatherley blew the field away, but comeback goes to Philip Buys who came from 16th after lap 1 to finish second.

Was a great day out.

Also did plenty of riding in Howick. Discovered a little section that is called "Bitch to Quarry" on Strava :eek:

Do the guys go down the quarry on that "cliff" line?

Awesome ... the Elite XCO was damn exciting ! How good was Phil Buys to come back and take 2nd after his puncture !!!!

Alan is a machine..I see big things coming from him in the future ! Did you watch any of the Jnrs ? Cam Wright is so damn fast !!!

So stoked that you enjoyed the trails !! 

Yeah the guys ride down into the Quarry :) Its actually one of the Enduro sections that we use... and will be incorporating onto the Howick Enduro in Sept :) The shale is loose and soft .. but still some guys pin it down there like mad!

Breaking News : Howick Enduro 24/25 Sept 2017.

24 Sept : Enduro and Skills clinic on race routes followed by a free ride session .. all trails open to have fun on. Any one on any bike welcome :)

25 Sept : Race day ..2 options. Either do the Enduro Lite or the Full Titanium Balls option

Trail Update : WTF is closed for trail maintenance work/line changes and we are putting up signage. Please do not ride the trail as you will come across holes, rock piles and poles along the way !

Trail will be opened as soon as work has been completed (estimated 1 July)

Trail update : New Track entrance off Middle rd is closed. New Trac can still be accessed from 2zig or Hyslop road. Middle road only open as far as Hug a Tree entrance.  Hug-a-tree and Diptank trails remain open . Trail closed boards are in place.

https://www.trailfor...ick-mtb-trails/ has been updated

Fire Danger Index warning : Strong winds of 45km/h expected from 11h00 resulting in high FDI today. Please be aware trails may be closed at short notice.

Thanks for the updates Gavin. The Enduro sounds great, especially the skills section. Maybe the stuff is less nerve-wrecking if someone shows you... :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

Some latest news on the Howick Enduro (23/24 Sept)

- Skills clinic 23 Sept with some of the best KZN riders acting as coaches. 3 groups.. beginners, intermediate and advanced. The coaches will give you tips and show you techniques on how to ride and tackle the obstacles. Skills will take place on the actual race route so you can put the skills to the test :)

- Skills to be followed by a free-ride/un-official practice session as all race routes will be open. Please note that you may only practice the routes if you have been part of the skills clinic

- Its a long weekend so possible get-together on Saturday night... venue/time to be confirmed. Cheap beer/pizza, beer/burger or beer/wors roll option for those who would like to carbo-load for the race the next day

- Race day 24 Sept : option of either Enduro full (5 Stages) or Enduro Lite (3 Stages). Both categories have podium positions. Inter-schools option will also be included (riders will still be eligible for individual participation)

- 3 new/revised Stages. Combo-entries at a reduced price for skills/full Enduro or skills/Enduro Lite

Edited by Griffin

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody riding down Teichmans Terror please be careful. The wooden bridge at the bottom of the drop off is broken in the middle.

Anybody riding down Teichmans Terror please be careful. The wooden bridge at the bottom of the drop off is broken in the middle.

Its the motorbikes..the bridges are not built for that kind of weight or abuse.

50/50 as to weather its worth fixing until just before the Enduro. On the one hand it has to be fixed .. on the other it then just gets busted again by the motorbikes.

I will get a warning sign up there though

Great review on the new Pyga Slackline..https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/first-ride-review-pyga-slakline-r6808

Best of all... Pyga is based in Howick and are one of the main supporters and partners of Howick MTB Club as well as the Howick Enduro

Remember the Pyga Trails 'n Ales evening at Yard 41 on 23 Sept, after the Enduro skills clinic/free ride session/practice.. you might even get an up close 'n personal look at the Slackline..

Howick MTB Club also has something in the Pyga pipeline for all new and renewing members in 2018 ;)
Edited by Griffin

• 2 weeks later...

Harvesting update : Within the next week harvesting will start in F block. All trails from Mind the Gap through to end of Home Jerome and as deep in as Tonys dam/River Run will be closed. Hauling is happening from the loading zone by the cemetery/top of Yellow Brick Road. All these areas will be closed