Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Hi all

To make it easier for everyone to stay informed of rides, trails, routes and who you can contact we thought it would be handy to have a dedicated forum. Please feel free to ask for any advise or make any suggestions.

post-7405-0-79856400-1470414397_thumb.jpg

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone is making cheat lines down Mikes lights. I want to put some rocks there to stop them

They were cutting down bug weed in Rush a lots and left the branches in the trail. Cleared it up but maybe we must chat to Sappi to ask if the guys are clearing brush not to leave it on the trails.

The little bridge at the bottom of Wattle way has been moved out of place but its not an issue as the hole there is not too bad.

Someone is making cheat lines down Mikes lights. I want to put some rocks there to stop them

They were cutting down bug weed in Rush a lots and left the branches in the trail. Cleared it up but maybe we must chat to Sappi to ask if the guys are clearing brush not to leave it on the trails.

The little bridge at the bottom of Wattle way has been moved out of place but its not an issue as the hole there is not too bad.

Hey Bud

Yeah.. I saw the cheat lines at Mikes Lights too. Got 2 options here : 

- Block it.. and I mean with mother sized rocks 

- Open a B line..

At the moment I am leaning toward a B line since cheat lines are a constant pain. If we give riders an option then least the skilled riders will take the proper line

Thanks for clearing the cut bugweed. We really appreciate Sappi cutting it as it makes keeping the trails clear much easier but I also think that the workforce used is clearing only..they not really looking at things from a rider perspective. 

Yeah that gap/hole isnt big but good to know that its been moved. Will make sure its sorted before summer rains come (if they come!)

Good idea Griffin (this forum)! There are also some cheat lines/new lines on Gums (upper and lower). I hesitate to say the one in particular may be an improvement as it gets better flow - looks like it's been done on purpose to avoid going out of the trees into the one open grass corner where the trail has eroded quite deep down (get pedal catches). 

And I have to say - my ride down Gums lower the other day was maybe like closest to the most fun I've had ever on a bike. It was flowing like CRAZY...nothing hanging in the way, grip like super glue...floaty...was awesome.

Eish. I need to renew my membership, ( and then get back outside on my bike )

3 options Jimmy ..

- Day licence each time you ride  (do the math.. 10 day licences usually adds up to around the price of an annual membership)

- an annual board for 2016 that will last you to 31 Dec (http://roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1682)

- or..in Oct each year we usually offer early bird memberships for the following year.. so you get the last 3 months of the year and the whole of the following year at the current membership price (and before membership prices go up)

Depending on how often you ride it may be worth your while to do day licences up until Oct when we open the early bird memberships

3 options Jimmy ..

- Day licence each time you ride (do the math.. 10 day licences usually adds up to around the price of an annual membership)

- an annual board for 2016 that will last you to 31 Dec (http://roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1682)

- or..in Oct each year we usually offer early bird memberships for the following year.. so you get the last 3 months of the year and the whole of the following year at the current membership price (and before membership prices go up)

Depending on how often you ride it may be worth your while to do day licences up until Oct when we open the early bird memberships

Thanks. Perhaps I will do the day licence thing then until October and then renew for the following year.

Good idea Griffin (this forum)! There are also some cheat lines/new lines on Gums (upper and lower). I hesitate to say the one in particular may be an improvement as it gets better flow - looks like it's been done on purpose to avoid going out of the trees into the one open grass corner where the trail has eroded quite deep down (get pedal catches). 

And I have to say - my ride down Gums lower the other day was maybe like closest to the most fun I've had ever on a bike. It was flowing like CRAZY...nothing hanging in the way, grip like super glue...floaty...was awesome.

I have not done gums in a while.  Now you have temped me.

We did crank alley ,haibo, keytels, howies , bonga bonga dip all the way to the bottom of nyaga nyaga yesterday.  The trails are so clean and the ground just sticky enough to grip the corners with the rocks nice and dry.  Such good flow.  The only bad part is when it is over and it is time to climb again :D.  

I have not done gums in a while.  Now you have temped me.

We did crank alley ,haibo, keytels, howies , bonga bonga dip all the way to the bottom of nyaga nyaga yesterday.  The trails are so clean and the ground just sticky enough to grip the corners with the rocks nice and dry.  Such good flow.  The only bad part is when it is over and it is time to climb again :D.

Oohhh that flowy section after Nyaga Nyaga is so sweet me thinks that should be a stage next year on its own.

Oohhh that flowy section after Nyaga Nyaga is so sweet me thinks that should be a stage next year on its own.

It is awesome,  but pasop if its wet,  clay soil plus speed equals hugging trees.  doing it as a night ride is also "interesting" . :clap:

Edited by blondeonabike

We will be having a 35km ride this Saturday Morning starting at 7.30 from the Fainting Goat at Greendale Spar.  Anybody keen to learn the trails or join for fun is welcome.  We will be doing the runs down bonga bonga, rush-a-lots and the gums and then pop over the currys post road and finish down Gregs.   Climbing will be in the region of 900m. Trailfee is R40.00 and indemnitys can be signed at the Fainting Goat.  :)