Howick MTB Club - Trails, Routes and local riders

Griffin

Trail update 

Following trails have been re-opened : 

- Puffadder Pass

- No Balls

- Duncan Dash (New trail - primarily for trail running)

- Jonno's Jaunt ( New Trail - multi use)

Please note that the trail signage has NOT yet been placed. Also please note that there are sections close to these trails the remain closed and may not be used. With the re-opened/new sections so close to closed trails we are trusting riders to not abuse the privileged of being granted access to the area.  

Details of the area are available at https://www.trailforks.com/region/howick-mtb-trails

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15km trail run route is open and can be viewed at https://www.trailforks.com/route/15km-trail-run/.

Please note that the trail makings have not been finalized yet. Please also note that a day licence or annual membership is compulsory to make use of the trail.

Additionally, please do not deviate from the trail as there is active harvesting/hauling in the area.

Shot Bolognius !

Have a look at Trail Forks for some options. Did you ride the Howick Enduro last Sept ? Those trails are still all open and accessible.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/howick-mtb-trails/

Enduro routes open in G block include

- Jelly Tot

- WTF

- Helter Skelter

- Quarry

Just note that they may be 100% clear as we have been concentrating on re-clearing some of the trails that were closed during harvesting

As a side note : the Enduro on 3 March 2018 will be 5 stages, including 2 brand new ones. It will also be back in the areas that have been closed for the past year .. and the harvesting has given us the opportunity to find some new lines and rocks :) Its also the 1st round of the KZN Provincial Enduro Series

Thanks dude,

I did not ride the Enduro. I've been mostly focused on Giba as I live in Durban.

I'm definitely going to be trying out these trails though. Thank you so much for the response.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

A bit of a teaser for the 2018 Sappi Howick MTB Classic.

The 40km route includes Puffadder Pass and No Balls. Both these trails have been closed for 18 months whilst harvesting was going on and have recently been revamped.

Have you got what it takes to conquer these iconic trails?

post-7405-0-62504900-1516291598_thumb.jpg

Win with Howick MTB Club, 11 KARKLOOF and @LaPetiteFranceHandmadecheese : Enter the 2018 Sappi Howick Enduro or Classic before 28 Feb 2018 and stand a chance to win a 2 night stay in one of 11 KARKLOOF's 4 sleeper self-catering cottages. Not only that but also enjoy a scrumptious visit to La Petite France Handmade Cheese and sample the goodies over a perfect coffee. Entries to the event are open at https://www.roag.co.za/online-entries.aspx?EventID=2137

http://www.11karkloof.co.za/

http://lapetitefrance.co.za/

So today we got our first official complaint from the land owners about riders entering into closed harvesting areas. 

So, you who thinks that they are so special, what is so friggen difficult to understand ? A TRAIL CLOSED sign means you may NOT go in there. If that isn't enough, did the dust cloud from the harvester and the hauling trucks not give you a hint that it might be dangerous to ride close by ? Your seemingly super strength didn't pull through to you having even average intelligence. 

Did you think that you are so special that you would win the battle against a 20 ton truck or a mechanical claw? If you do, please let me know so I can so a small test experimenting with your hand vs a 2 pound hammer. I realise your Mom told you that you are special.. but I am sorry to tell you that everyone's Mom tells them that. It doesn't make it true. At your age you should really have moved on. 

If you really, really insist on being indestructible, please , please go ride somewhere else. We do not want you here. Your selfish actions place this club and all its legal riders at risk. Go away. Far far away. The further the better. Maybe Mr Trump will take you. 

You may think that you only 1 rider and you wont be noticed or have an effect. Try think (and i use that term very broadly in your case) further than your very limited ability. If required i am happy to draw a picture for you (in your favorite colored crayon). And then shove that same picture somewhere "special". 

10 "its only me" riders throughout the day is 10 riders. Simple. Just cause its only you doesn't make you an exception to the rule.

Please (PLEASE!) don't tell me you didn't see the sign, didn't know or didn't understand. I am sick of that excuse. Just tell me you are stupid.. cause thats way more believable. 

Hi Griff

Thanks for the great work. I (we) really appreciate it.

Question: How do you suggest we get to Puffadder and NoBalls? From the Karkloof side?

Regards - al

PS: dont make the trails too easy - techy rocks up and down are the best!

Hi Griff

Thanks for the great work. I (we) really appreciate it.

Question: How do you suggest we get to Puffadder and NoBalls? From the Karkloof side?

Regards - al

PS: dont make the trails too easy - techy rocks up and down are the best!

Access from the Karkloof side depends on what trails Karkloof has re-opened. I hear that some of the connecting trails (eg Mitch Ditch) have been re-opened but not 100% sure. Best to check with Karkloof direct. 

We do have a new trail called "Duncan Dash" that comes off "Totem" that could be used. Its actually a trail running section but is specified dual purpose. Bit of a climb though..

Have a look at the 15km trail run (dual purpose) route. Its not marked with arrows yet but you should be able to see where it goes by following the  cleared trail. Always best to have a look at the map though..

https://www.trailforks.com/route/15km-trail-run/

Edited by Griffin

• 3 weeks later...

Trail work and clearing for the Howick Enduro and 20/40 are all underway and going full steam ahead.

Please note that some of these trails are only being opened for the event and may be closed thereafter (until harvesting is complete).

Also.. the new Enduro Stages are proper! If you entering the Enduro please make sure you either go and check it out beforehand or at least walk it before attempting to ride it :) 

Nipper/Sprog may only enter the Enduro Lite (3 stages). This is regardless of if they are doing the event as part of the KZN MTB Provicial series or not. After they have raced Nippers/Sprogs may go and watch the other stages but may not ride them. All stages will be closed after the last rider has departed. 

Un-official Enduro practice on Friday 2 March from 1pm to 4pm. No medics on route so be careful. Also note we will still be marking so lines may change before the race!

Any chance of us building a jump line (with signage) that will not be torn down in days.

Im happy to do the work myself or join a build day if people are interested, Have tried chatting to club chairman with no joy.

We will be having a 35km ride this Saturday Morning starting at 7.30 from the Fainting Goat at Greendale Spar.  Anybody keen to learn the trails or join for fun is welcome.  We will be doing the runs down bonga bonga, rush-a-lots and the gums and then pop over the currys post road and finish down Gregs.   Climbing will be in the region of 900m. Trailfee is R40.00 and indemnitys can be signed at the Fainting Goat.  :)

Im sure trail fees are R50 these days

Hi Griffin, where can we find a complete map, list of all trails that are closed.

Ive been keeping away from the firetower due to harvesting but see that some of the trails are open again.

Any chance of us building a jump line (with signage) that will not be torn down in days.

Im happy to do the work myself or join a build day if people are interested, Have tried chatting to club chairman with no joy.

Im sure trail fees are R50 these days

That a old post .. and yes, Trails fee (day licence is R50 pppd)

The challenge with building any structures is maintenance. We are members of AmaRider which necessitates us keeping any man made structure in safe condition. We also report quarterly to AmaRider that this has been done. Building a man made structure in the right way is costly both in materials and time. Not saying is can't or shouldn't be done .. but with limited resources its a major consideration. 

If possible we prefer to use natural terrain and obstacles to do this as the ethos of Howick MTB is Raw and Unplugged.. ride what nature has provided. 

We have been having build days recently which have concentrated on recovering (and revamping) the trails that have been affected by the harvesting, Along with that we have been working on some new Enduro lines. The whatsapp group to stay in touch with planned build days is https://chat.whatsapp.com/HY0FWxsTpFfKsq2IFrJfJY

Its best to incorporate any build plan with what the club has planned for the future. In some cases a proposed route will be refused as there is already a long term plan in place for that particular area.. in other cases it may impact on environmental concerns.. and in other cases it may be "yeah... go for it!".