Amashova 2016 first timer advice

Friedpiggy

So I will be riding the Shova this year for the first time. I started cycling again in January of this year and am now on week 5 of no riding due to a back injury after my first fall. I am looking for any advice for someone who will not be in peak fitness mode to ride the full Shova. 

I should be cleared to get back on the bike by the end of August which gives me some training time at least. Hoping to beat my Tour Durban time which was horrible (4h 47m - but it was 111 days after getting on the bike for the first time in decades)

So bring on the advice.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah it's all down hill. Especially Fox Hill.

Seriously though it's my favorite one day race. Awesome course. Very interesting. A lot of climbing.

Shova is definitely tougher than the TD.

Suggest you focus on your climbing once back on the bike. Inchanga, Drummond and that nasty bump into Hillcrest can really hurt if you not prepared for it.

Loved the Amashova.  It is one of the more beautifull rides in SA with thrilling downhills and nice climbing.

Judging by what you said you are looking at about 7-8 weeks time to prepare.  Properbly not ideal but you could put it to good use.  You will know the extend of your injuries and also what the doc said.  But I would look into looking at the possibility of getting on a spinning bike before the time but not sitting in your normal cycling position but more in an upright position and start doing base fitness on it.  Let your legs just start to do something.

Then when your are back I would concentrate on Interval training in the week and look at descent long rides over weekends.  The interval training will improve your heart rate recovery and the long distance ride obviously work on your endurance.

On the race it all depends on where you will be seeded.  I remember there is a long climb out of Martizburg.  You should take it easy but if you can stick to a nice group it might be worth trying to hold onto them as after that is fairly long stretches where you can just sit in the slip and keep your energy expenditure down as much as possible.

Pace yourself on the climbs.  If you going to spend too much energy in the first half you will cry long tears in the second half.

It really is a good ride, one of the better ones. Not that I'm biased in any way...

Given the amount of training I think the focus should be on enjoyment. Ride in group that is comfortable for you & use the ride as a recce for next year - then you can give it horns!

As mentioned before, it's not all downhill to the sea. The first 16km are nasty and have some real "can I hold onto this group?" moments...

It's a fine line between putting in a hard effort in the beginning to get a good time and wearing yourself out to the point where Inchange and Bothas hill feel like Alpe d' Huez :D

That said, it's a great race, and my fave of the year.

As mentioned before, it's not all downhill to the sea. The first 16km are nasty and have some real "can I hold onto this group?" moments...

It's a fine line between putting in a hard effort in the beginning to get a good time and wearing yourself out to the point where Inchange and Bothas hill feel like Alpe d' Huez :D

That said, it's a great race, and my fave of the year.

Bothas Hill ... that is where Wannabe and myself used to meet  :clap:

It's where the devil and I usually meet :D

So I will be riding the Shova this year for the first time. I started cycling again in January of this year and am now on week 5 of no riding due to a back injury after my first fall. I am looking for any advice for someone who will not be in peak fitness mode to ride the full Shova. 

I should be cleared to get back on the bike by the end of August which gives me some training time at least. Hoping to beat my Tour Durban time which was horrible (4h 47m - but it was 111 days after getting on the bike for the first time in decades)

So bring on the advice.

Hi.  Not sure where in KZN you are but come and join East Coast Cycling and we will get you there.  We started our official training ramp-up last weekend and will be doing a few long rides in preparation including a Pre-Shova ride from Hillcrest to PMB and back on 2 October. 

Email me on chairman@eccc.co.za for more info.

You mean, where you usually came flying past me .......  :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all.While we on the Amashova topping.This is my first bicycle race ever........will be doing the Amashova on a mountain bike. Myself and another cyclist will be staying in PMB. One of us will need a lift back to PMB after the race to fetch the car. Is it Possible some one can offer a lift after the the race back to PMB please?Whatsapp 0823226118 

Good morning all.While we on the Amashova topping.This is my first bicycle race ever........will be doing the Amashova on a mountain bike. Myself and another cyclist will be staying in PMB. One of us will need a lift back to PMB after the race to fetch the car. Is it Possible some one can offer a lift after the the race back to PMB please?Whatsapp 0823226118 

why not book transport to PMB with the organizers and leave the car in DBN ?

Archived