Amashova 2016 first timer advice

Friedpiggy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VB for me, but it's a long 560km to get to PMB in 3 days.

Will be "riding" the Shova rather than racing it. Probably with my fellow tour riders in the alphabet soup.

Highlight of the year for me. Great race made even better because we ride there first.

Will be "riding" the Shova rather than racing it. Probably with my fellow tour riders in the alphabet soup.

Highlight of the year for me. Great race made even better because we ride there first.

Are you coming via Nottingham road?

Are you coming via Nottingham road?

Yes - Ladysmith to PMB (day 3)

Will probably stop at the brewery for a pint, again, like before.

AL, 7:20 start, for me - that bus from Durban to PMB better not be late, or it will be a mad rush

Yes - Ladysmith to PMB (day 3)

Will probably stop at the brewery for a pint, again, like before.

Cool.  Stay sharp on the stretch from Notties to Howick....there are some serious potholes. Some have been patched, others have got worse since you rode that section last year. :wacko:

Cool. Stay sharp on the stretch from Notties to Howick....there are some serious potholes. Some have been patched, others have got worse since you rode that section last year. :wacko:

Thanks for the heads up.

I envy you.

So I will be riding the Shova this year for the first time. I started cycling again in January of this year and am now on week 5 of no riding due to a back injury after my first fall. I am looking for any advice for someone who will not be in peak fitness mode to ride the full Shova. 

I should be cleared to get back on the bike by the end of August which gives me some training time at least. Hoping to beat my Tour Durban time which was horrible (4h 47m - but it was 111 days after getting on the bike for the first time in decades)

So bring on the advice.

Firstly, like many of the other Hubbers have said, this is a great race, probably one of the best road races in the country. I have only done one edition myself.

Secondly, my tips are - 

• Pace yourself. Don't race up the hills.
  • Hydrate. It's hot and humid.
  • 106km is long. Stop if you have to, but NOT at the bottom or even during the hill, only at the top of the hill.
  • After the first very long, steep downhill, find a group. The undulating section on the highway is no fun on your own. 
  • And lastly, go for a ride on the Promenade afterwards, and take many photos!

Best of luck, post-race reporting is welcome! 

EL starting 7:36

FL starting 7:48

Why would that be?

I suspect that the celebrity/ charity batches are in between E and F

Is this race a lot harder than the tour of durbs ? That also had that undulating sections. Luckily was in a group. And the only climb was near the beginning coming into pine town or something, I think. But must say did enjoy the race immensely .

Way better than the other 2 races I have done at present. Looking forward to it.

I suspect that the celebrity/ charity batches are in between E and F

my mates in el and he's not riding for a charity .

my mates in el and he's not riding for a charity .

There are other batches with different letters that they sandwich in between e and f hence the big time gap

There are other batches with different letters that they sandwich in between e and f hence the big time gap

Oh ok,why do they choose e & f ?

Archived