[Event] Barberton XCM Mountain Bike Challenge

Barberton XCM MTB

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our club members had a heart attack a few km into the race and sadly passed away.

RIP

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Heard about this afterwards. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP

What a great race! Did the Ultra for the first time and boy it was tough - loved it though...

Personally I feel the route is more or less spot on now - tough, but doable - and it offers a lot for everybody. Will definitely be back.

Only concern is that the water tables from where the Ultra rejoined the Marathon and then the 48km route started running out of Coke and Powerade - only water left - and I was mid pack in the Ultra. If you are out there that long you really do need more than water. I realize it was very hot and humid so the guys were probably drinking a lot, but this could be improved on for next year. Fortunately the guys at the waterpoint at the top of the last climb out of the valley were kind enough to give me a beer - and that got me to the finish line!

Again, really great race that will keep me coming back!

Condolences to the deceased rider

The new route is fantastic; a real challenge in every respect.

The water tables on the other hand are extremely poor. There were a few occasions where they either had no water or only water. They had no chain lube and the only effort at providing food were a few token bananas lying on the table. This is unacceptable for race of this stature. A few boiled potatoes, maybe some more fruit, some fruit cake would not cost a lot of money but would make a huge difference to the ride rather than expecting riders to carry piles of food in their pockets. If this was the case then tell the riders, that unlike pretty much all other MTB races, there is no food at all, so you need to make your own plans.

First time riding this - a wonderful race in the most beautiful setting. And brilliantly organized - well done to organizers.  I thought 7 water tables was ridiculous when booking the race.  Not so ridiculous when sweating up those naaasty hills! Here's a pic of the only flat piece of the entire race

post-81857-0-17273000-1485781616_thumb.jpg