Another chance to enter the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Flightsx2 R5000

Accomodation R4500

Car hire R1200

Bike transport R1000

Food etc R????

The R510 entry fee is the least of my worries!!

Couldn't agree more...

We have calculated that if we (2 people) skip argus for 2 years, we can do a week long trip to Mauritius...

Couldn't agree more...

We have calculated that if we (2 people) skip argus for 2 years, we can do a week long trip to Mauritius...

That's a no-brainer

Couldn't agree more...

Only thing worse than a week in Mauritius is two weeks in Mauritius. Rather skip the Argus 4 years running and go somewhere else.

Let me explain more clearly. If there is something you want to do you will find the means. 

R510 is a lot of money to a lot of people. But how often do I hear these words "I have no money!" by the same people that walk out the office to go smoke! When I calculated how much money they spent on smokes and their daily chocolate and coke to get that sugar high they were speechless. 

I should not generalise but I can't help but feel that if your really wanted to ride the CTCT you would make a plan! 

I get what you are saying and it is very true that we all prioritise...  from  small indulgences and vices all the way up to things like the infrastructure that SA managed to fund for the Soccer World Cup.

Maybe in the interest of clarity - My point was that it can be about the money even when it is not a question of affordability. I will not see the  extra R510 in my bank account or reflected in balancing a budget if I do not enter, conversely I also will not need to forgo anything in order to enter... but that does not mean I don't have a sense of whether it is worth the money. And this time I thought meh... and I had that feeling the moment the cost popped onto my screen - which I find interesting especially if I look at what we spend on races and equipment in this game. So, no this does not mean they have priced themselves out of the game, but it does mean that for some it is "about the money". The same way that there is no shortage of moneyed Epic entrants, there are people who can afford it, but who chooses not to mostly because of the perceived value.

That said I should stop writing about this or else I will have to get off my soap box and buckle under FOMO :-) Enjoy the ride guys and gals

Rant on

It is a fair bit of money but you must consider that it costs a small fortune to organize events of this scale. Shutting down substantial parts of a large city and make sure that 30,000+ people are safe and well looked after. Overseas you pay much more for something similar.

If you really want an entry, you will diligently save up for it. Simple. If the lottery doesn't work out, get a substitution. But stop complaining about fees unless you really really know what is involved...

Rant off

Wish I could get an entry. My mom, in her 60's, said it would be a bucketlist item of hers to be able to say she's done the Argus. I've done plenty, got my Sub3 in the bag. Now a perfect day would be to have my mom on the back of the tandem and do a social Argus. Going from Coke stop to Coke stop, just chilling and having a lekker time.

Wish I could get an entry. My mom, in her 60's, said it would be a bucketlist item of hers to be able to say she's done the Argus. I've done plenty, got my Sub3 in the bag. Now a perfect day would be to have my mom on the back of the tandem and do a social Argus. Going from Coke stop to Coke stop, just chilling and having a lekker time.

Hope you get one. I ride this race with my toppie on the back of the tandem and he is also 60. We have both done the race a few times but its more of a tradition now. We both race Vets when on the singles but this race its just a given I ride tandem with my dad.