Giant Propel Advanced upgrade

Basti

Hey guys

I would appreciate some advice on my bike and what gear you guys would invest in order to improve it abit.

So I started cycling in 2014 and got the Giant Propel Advanced with the basic 105 Groupset.

Now 2 years and one sub 3 at the Argus later, I am looking to upgrade it!!!

I just took advantage of the Darkhorse Carbon clinchers 38mm from onedayonly and am planning to change my groupset next.

However  I know that I am in for about 25k if I want the Ultegra Di2 (heard the Dura ace Di2 is not that much better than it justifies the big increase in price, but please correct me if I am mistaken).

My LBS told me when I bought the bike in August 2014 that the frame is good and can easily be kept still.

My questions are now:

1. What groupset would you recommend?(I know that at that price tag all higher end groupsets are decent and its more about personal preference)

2. Would you even invest that much in a groupset or maybe sell the bike instead and put that with the 20-25k together to get an upgraded bike? And if so, what bike?

If you have any other advice, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks alot!!

Personally, I would shop around and find a 2016 model bike that's going for well below retail.

There's some good deals out there, you can get a complete bike, with Ultegra for 30-40k.

105 is not basic by any means, so keep you current bike as is and get yourself an early christmas prezzie.

Just 1 example, here's a Reacto with Di2 for 41k.

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/merida-reacto-7000-e-2016

ultegra DI2 19-20k

no need for DI2 can go ultegra 6800 mech and its a step up from 105 but not much difference between 6800 and DA9000

Edited by Malpiet

I did some upgrades on my recently acquired Propel.

Fitted a Dura Ace Crank for the weight saving and to change from compact to standard 53/39.

Ultegra cassette.

SLR saddle for the weight and comfort - somehow it is comfy for me.

Zipp 303s with Zipp SL70 handlebar Zipp SCSL stem

but if I was going to change the whole groupset etc  - I might rather have looked for one with the groupset on.

I'd personally look for a used but excellent condition bike with di2 already on.. Campy is just super pricey to justify using it when on a budget..

And if u are happy then keep your DH wheelset for the new bike..

There is a propel with DI2 on the hub for R32k. Buy that boke swap groupsets and sell other bike or buy that bike and sell you old bike. For extra R12k you can have a second propel 2015 with DI2

I'm going to go against the grain here.

I know it's not for me to tell you what to do with your money. But a Propel with carbon wheels and a 105 group set isn't exactly sh!t to begin with. How about you rather spend the cash on an experience rather than a thing?

For under 30k you can spend a week in the alps smashing some iconic climbs including Joux Plane and Corbier. For a little extra cash you can even get on to Ventoux.

Di2 isn't going to change your life. Climbing the Joux Plane with the tour riders names still painted on the road. That will!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Or put a powermeter on.

Since you have new wheels already I'd GI with a crank based one, or pedal based.

Crank bases will allow you to upgrade where the pedal based will just really be adding the power measurement.

Hey guys.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Exactly why I love the hub, people are always there to help each other.

Probably going to look at a new bike and taking advantage of the sales of the 2016 models as they are being cleared out for the new 2017 ones...