New to indoor trainer advice

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any eta on the Magnus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Geoffois, we will only be bringing in the Magnus once current stock of PowerSync is depleted. We expect Jan 2017.

Why not take advantage of the R5 000.00 saving and get the PowerSync ?? A very similar unit and a great price. 

Thanks bicyclepower! That does change things somewhat, saw they were 16k at cycle lab which is just beyond budget. Where are you guys based?

Ps. I had a look at the vortex, couldn't find it cheaper than the wahoo. Plus have some concerns about after sales service if there's issues.

You should not worry about after sales on Wahoo products. All part and a service centre available in South Africa. 

I always see what the Rainmaker has to say, he gives quite a good review at the below link:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html

Main plus point, especially in today's age with multiple training platforms, is the Wahoo Smart trainers plug into basically any app/software out there, by far the most compatible trainer punted by most apps (Trainer road/ Zwift/ Kino Map etc )

You can check the below link for an online store I know stocks them:

http://www.shopandship.co.za/Fitness-Tech/Fitness-Devices/Sensors-and-Trackers/6055/WAH034/Wahoo-KICKR-Snap-Indoor-Bike-Trainer/details

I always see what the Rainmaker has to say, he gives quite a good review at the below link:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/wahoo-kickr-snap.html

Main plus point, especially in today's age with multiple training platforms, is the Wahoo Smart trainers plug into basically any app/software out there, by far the most compatible trainer punted by most apps (Trainer road/ Zwift/ Kino Map etc )

You can check the below link for an online store I know stocks them:

http://www.shopandship.co.za/Fitness-Tech/Fitness-Devices/Sensors-and-Trackers/6055/WAH034/Wahoo-KICKR-Snap-Indoor-Bike-Trainer/details

Good to note that one needs Bluetooth enabled sensors (HR, Speed Cadence) if one uses a smartphone that is not ant+ enabled.

The degree of app support and the FE-C on the wahoo is certainly appealing. Particularly for when I get the Garmin, which will be most likely next month(all this is for training for 94.7). At the end of the day, probably the most important aspects I'm looking at are 1. Reliability 2. After sales support 3. Future proof and 4. Reliability and repeatability of power data.

So far pity dead heat between the cycleops powersync and wahoo kickr snap. One last thing, I have a 29er as well, can I use that on both trainers?

The degree of app support and the FE-C on the wahoo is certainly appealing. Particularly for when I get the Garmin, which will be most likely next month(all this is for training for 94.7). At the end of the day, probably the most important aspects I'm looking at are 1. Reliability 2. After sales support 3. Future proof and 4. Reliability and repeatability of power data.

So far pity dead heat between the cycleops powersync and wahoo kickr snap. One last thing, I have a 29er as well, can I use that on both trainers?

Hi Geoffois,

The Wahoo SNAP is great in that it is ANT+ FEC meaning it will transmit power data to a compatible head unit just as a normal power meter would. Yes you have the option to control the ANT+ FEC trainers with a compatible head unit of choice. 

However all apps like Zwift, TrainerRoad and CVT will like to cloud services so there is no need to actually download your data. At the end of the ride its automatically uploaded. If using Zwift or CVT one can get Strava KOM's etc. 

I like to use TrainingPeaks as a central data storage as i have multiple bikes with multiple head units (Garmin, Joule, Suunto, iPhone etc) and i use TrainingPeaks to store all that data. TP is also great for multi sport athletes in that the analytical data it can offer is class leading.

Personally i find controlling a trainer with a head unit or smart device a little pointless. Apps like Zwift, TrainerRoad and CVT offer more visual stimulation which is great !!! And certainly worth the US $10 / mth sub fee irrespective of the trainer used.

The Wahoo has 1 over CycleOps right now with dual ANT+ / BLE and being ANT+ FEC and this is definitely the way forward. This is exactly why CycleOps have launched the Hammer (https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/cycleops-unveils-the-hammer-r4741?source=topic) and the Magnus (https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/cycleops-introduces-the-magnus-to-smart-trainer-product-line-up-r5440?source=topic)

Both Hammer and Magnus will be ANT+ FEC and dual ANT+ / BLE.

All major major applications (Zwift, TrainerRaod, CVT etc.) will continue to support the CycleOps PowerSync units so when it comes to future proof i think you pretty safe here.

Yes the CycleOps PowerSync will accommodate 29" wheels up to 2.2" rear tire width. If you running a 142mm thu axle you will need one of these: https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/classic-series-trainer-thru-axle-adapter/ again we have in stock.

The Hammer will accommodate anything from 130 - 148mm rear axles.

I think it comes down to personal choice now.

Certainly still have a need for the rollers, the benefit on balance and stability has been dramatic.

One next question, are direct drive trainers worth the extra layout? Id rather buy once than regret not getting what I later realise I should have gotten in the first place! I've been looking at the kickr (I can afford it if it's really going to be much better) and am wondering what are the benefits above the on-wheel trainers? I really can't find any head-to-head comparisons between the kickr and kickr snap.

And yes, I realise I've fallen down the slippery slope from budgeting for a fluid 2 to considering something three times the price!

Certainly still have a need for the rollers, the benefit on balance and stability has been dramatic.

One next question, are direct drive trainers worth the extra layout? Id rather buy once than regret not getting what I later realise I should have gotten in the first place! I've been looking at the kickr (I can afford it if it's really going to be much better) and am wondering what are the benefits above the on-wheel trainers? I really can't find any head-to-head comparisons between the kickr and kickr snap.

And yes, I realise I've fallen down the slippery slope from budgeting for a fluid 2 to considering something three times the price!

Direct drive of the Kickr means you have to replace a cluster once it's worn.

Life of this cluster is more, due to the lack of dirt and grime. You don't have to buy xt or 105 for this, as there is no weight to be saved

Using the snap or similar, means you will have to invest in a trainer tire fitted onto a spare/extra wheel.

Trainer tires have a longer life span, and if you are riding MTB, using your knoblies on the snap will make you cry if you see how quickly it gets chowed (at the price of mtb tire.. it certainly brings a tear to my eye)

If you don't have a spare wheel, it's a PITA to change the trainer tire every time you want to train, and Aint nobody got time fo dat!

That's what got me thinking about the kickr... new cassette plus new (cheap) wheel and trainer tire on top of the cost of the trainer significantly narrows the gap between the on-wheel and direct drive units.

How noisy is the kickr? A lot of online stuff mentions a high pitched whine... is that going to be a deal breaker?

That's what got me thinking about the kickr... new cassette plus new (cheap) wheel and trainer tire on top of the cost of the trainer significantly narrows the gap between the on-wheel and direct drive units.

How noisy is the kickr? A lot of online stuff mentions a high pitched whine... is that going to be a deal breaker?

The Kickr does whine a bit, but no more so than a computrainer or any other wheel based trainer.

I use it with earphones with some high tempo music to help me try and reach my numbers, the missus catches up on her TV on the trainer, and I normally train early mornings while the kids still sleep - and it does not wake them ( I have a really small place, so they are in close proximity)

The appeal of pop the wheel off and get going is appealing. Can't imagine changing between tires weekly is going to be enjoyable after a while. I've got the space to leave the trainer out and ready I front of the spare flat screen so the size and weight aren't an issue.

The appeal of pop the wheel off and get going is appealing. Can't imagine changing between tires weekly is going to be enjoyable after a while. I've got the space to leave the trainer out and ready I front of the spare flat screen so the size and weight aren't an issue.

Sounds like your mind is made up, I can certainly vouch for the ease of use of the kickr.

I have not used it on zwift, but have done one or two sufferfest videos, where one would need a pc/laptop with ant+ stick. It works efforltessly, and like you say, pop it off the trainer, fit rear wheel and you're good to go.

Currently, I run it off Iphone in erg mode, and use my garmin to capture hr/cadence. It then all gets uploaded to training peaks.

I alternate training sometimes between using another adjustable bike on a computrainer, and by far prefer the kickr with my own bike fitted. You are then training with the same set-up and geo as you would be riding on. I never seem to get the trainer bike on the computrainer set up right, meaning i'm not training the same muscles as on the kickr with my own bike - if this makes any sense?

If you can, save the extra bucks and get the kickr - sounds like your mind is kinda made up anyways

I'll pop past cycle lab, I think they've got a demo floor setup there. Thanks for the input and help everyone, I'll let you know what I decide!

Archived