New to indoor trainer advice

Hi everyone. Yes, I'm aware the whole which brand is the best debate has been rehashed a couple times. Mine question is (I think) a little different.

I have bought rollers previously, they certainly do the job, but I lack the coordination to use them in front of the tv. Boredom sets in and I don't use them as often as I should. The whole "smart trainer" concept appeals to me, both for quantifying data and providing (at the very least) visual feed back.

Now this is where my what should I look at comes in, I don't own a Garmin or similar as yet. My budget would allow for a Garmin 520 bundle and a cyclops fluid 2, or a wahoo kickr snap alone. I understand the snap allows for power measurement, but is it necessary if I want to get into virtual training? The cycleops fluid isn't "smart" but may be adequate for starting in virtual training with the cadence and speed metrics.

Is it worth spending the extra on the snap? Will I be satisfied doing virtual training on the fluid 2 without power metrics and no FE-C interaction?

Really a noob when it comes to the virtual training concept, seen a few videos on YouTube and a demo stand at cycle lab...

So please, dispense your sage advice.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power based sessons are one of the best reasons to do indoor interval sessions. So you definately want to choose the Snap for that reason.

I find having the data ( power and cadence and heart rate ) in front of me to be adequate . With virtual trading I understand you meaning to be riding routes . These seldom fit in with a training programme based on watts .

The snap is alot more than the Fluid2. If you willing to spend 12k then get the snap or something from Cycleops.

They are launching a few new products soon so chat to the guys at Cycleops.

I started with the fluid2 and virtual power with speed and cadence and it worked well, but then upgraded to the Powerbeam and find that much better.

Tacx satori is a pretty good deal, new for around 5.5k. Resistance change is manual but it is smart in that it can talk to training apps and shows power, speed and cadence. I just got one last week, setup is a breeze, not too noisy and self powered.

Tacx satori is a pretty good deal, new for around 5.5k. Resistance change is manual but it is smart in that it can talk to training apps and shows power, speed and cadence. I just got one last week, setup is a breeze, not too noisy and self powered.

I've also been rolling on a Satori Smart the past couple of months and it's really great. The only drawback is that it's manually adjustable and not automatic, but when using Zwift it still focuses on your power output, so in the end it's more or less the same. And that's what you're after, power data.

Tacx Vortex Smart is awesome. Yes it is 10K +/- but:

1. virtual trainer - routes and video - for the easily bored.

2. All the sensors - Power, Speed, Cadence, Hr (with your own belt or HR device)

3. Interval programs and any other types of training programs - yes depends on your software.

4. Ant+ and Bluetooth - meaning you can train using your phone or tablet or pc.

5. Automatic resistance adjusting.

I don't think there is any type of training from a indoor point of view it cannot do. except the balance and control training you get on the roller types.

these trainers are not cheap but I think worth it.

Hey guys, check out the CycleOps PowerSync. now only R9 995.00 !!! www.cycleops.co.za

Best value for money smart trainer on the market at the moment !! 

Thanks bicyclepower! That does change things somewhat, saw they were 16k at cycle lab which is just beyond budget. Where are you guys based?

Ps. I had a look at the vortex, couldn't find it cheaper than the wahoo. Plus have some concerns about after sales service if there's issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bicyclepower! That does change things somewhat, saw they were 16k at cycle lab which is just beyond budget. Where are you guys based?

Ps. I had a look at the vortex, couldn't find it cheaper than the wahoo. Plus have some concerns about after sales service if there's issues.

You welcome to order online @ www.cycleops.co.za and delivery to your door is included in that pricing. 

Our offices are located at:

Bicycle Power Trading

1st Floor Rivonia 777 Building

CNR Rivonia & 7th Ave

Rivonia

011-023-2777

I rode for two years on my CycleOps Fluid.

The key is to have your trainer setup so it is really simple to use. If you have to rearrange the furniture and haul stuff in from the garage, you're much less likely to use it.

I had an old bike that was permanently setup on the trainer and an old laptop loaded with Sufferfest videos and Trainer Road. Because it was ready to roll and entertaining, I got into the habit of using the trainer at least three mornings per week.

When SARS sent me some money earlier this year, I upgraded to the CycleOps PowerSync and CVT. The electronic trainer is superb, but you can do the same stuff on the manual one.

My experience of the level of advice and support from the local CycleOps agent is nothing less than world-class. Go and chat to Dave. He will help you make the right decision.

*** I wish the PowerSync was on special when I'd bought it***

I have the SNAP, and I really enjoy it. It's the poor man's version of the Kikr, but it does the job. 

I use it with Virtual Training, which is getting expensive. But you can also use it with the free wahoo app, and a host of other free apps.

The advantage which the SNAP has over the PowerSync, is that it uses both Ant+ and bluetooth, whereas on the Powersync you have to choose which protocol.

Anyway, I would think it's more important to buy a Garmin before buying a smart trainer, unless you do not ride outdoors.

I have been using the kickr with the iphone app, and If you are purely using it to increase fitness and power, getting a proper training program tailored to your FTP is the way to go.

I hate the trainier during the week when I do it... but I love it out on the trails, where you can see the gains.

I ride outdoors on weekends only, and even then work commitments sometimes interfere with that. My plan is to try squeeze in a few very early morning or late evening IDT sessions a week.

The plan is to get a Garmin at some point in the near future, in that situation would the ANT+ cycleops be preferable?

I ride outdoors on weekends only, and even then work commitments sometimes interfere with that. My plan is to try squeeze in a few very early morning or late evening IDT sessions a week.

The plan is to get a Garmin at some point in the near future, in that situation would the ANT+ cycleops be preferable?

The CycleOps PowerSync is NOT ANT+ FEC. meaning that the newer generation Garmin head units like 520, 820, 1000 etc are NOT able to control the PowerSync.

You can use the likes of Zwift (ANT+), TrainerRoad (ANT+) or CycleOps Virtual Training (ANT+ & BLE) in order to control the trainer.

Seeing as you looking to buy a Garmin i would suggest ANT+ as your Garmin accessories i.e. HR and cadence sensor will also be ANT+. these come standard with the newer Garmin units.

If running an iPad or iPhone you will need to buy a Wahoo ANT+ key https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/ant-iphoneipad-key/) 

If running an Android phone most have ANT+ build in

If running on PC you will require an ANT+ USB (https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/ant-mini-usb-stick/)

we have stock of both options

If you going to use PC and make use of Zwift / TrainerRoad or CycleOps Virtual Training i strongly suggest you use ANT+ as BLE becomes a problem complicated with PC and Windows. 

Archived