MSC Tandems - crankset change a massive improvement

Chris NewbyFraser

My MSC Zion full suss tandem came with this Spanish company's Freedom Rotation crankset - a transmission that allows pilot and stoker completely independent pedaling. It proved a bit of a nut-ache on technical terrain and was also not watertight so the multitude of bearings got very gritty and noisy. Changing gear was more miss than hit and chain jump was common.

So I brought in a Truvativ tandem crankset from the UK and put it on the bike. Immediately I wanted to scream like those brainless American (and local) girls who scream "whoooooo" at any passing celeb. What a pleasure! (no I don't mean screaming brainlessly). We now ride in sync with perfect, snappy (for a tandem) gear changes and it's light, like a crankset should be, probably half the weight of the MSC stuff.

So, those other 43 MSC Zion owners in SA, do yourself a favour - change the crankset if you want to really enjoy your tandem.

I have also ordered a longer rear stoker stem that extends to 200mm to enable my short stoker to sit more comfortably.

• 3 years later...

Just bought one second hand. Going to do this. And take her for a full service ASAP.

And plan a shorter set of cranks for the stoker - short cranks support higher cadence on shorter legs :)

• 8 months later...

My MSC Zion full suss tandem came with this Spanish company's Freedom Rotation crankset - a transmission that allows pilot and stoker completely independent pedaling. It proved a bit of a nut-ache on technical terrain and was also not watertight so the multitude of bearings got very gritty and noisy. Changing gear was more miss than hit and chain jump was common.

So I brought in a Truvativ tandem crankset from the UK and put it on the bike. Immediately I wanted to scream like those brainless American (and local) girls who scream "whoooooo" at any passing celeb. What a pleasure! (no I don't mean screaming brainlessly). We now ride in sync with perfect, snappy (for a tandem) gear changes and it's light, like a crankset should be, probably half the weight of the MSC stuff.

So, those other 43 MSC Zion owners in SA, do yourself a favour - change the crankset if you want to really enjoy your tandem.

I have also ordered a longer rear stoker stem that extends to 200mm to enable my short stoker to sit more comfortably.

Anyone got decent pictures of this system? Talking about the independent pedaling story. Just tried googling it and the pictures are lousy, cant see how it works and keen to see how it operates.

Anyone got decent pictures of this system? Talking about the independent pedaling story. Just tried googling it and the pictures are lousy, cant see how it works and keen to see how it operates.

Slim pickings on the google, but it appears to be a system where there's a freewheel in the crank. 

It's this system (FFS) on a tandem.

On a tandem it seems both pilot and stoker cranks are these, with an interlinked drive chain

Edited by TNT1

Slim pickings on the google, but it appears to be a system where there's a freewheel in the crank. 

On a tandem it seems both pilot and stoker cranks are these, with an interlinked drive chain

Most tandems have a 'regular' crank with no freewheel other than the freehub on the back wheel. The Americans then decided that you should have independent cranks so that the captain and stoker should do their own thing. Inefficient, heavy, and destabilising. Other than that it seems like a great idea.    

Thanks, no youtube at work so I'll look at home later.

Most tandems have a 'regular' crank with no freewheel other than the freehub on the back wheel. The Americans then decided that you should have independent cranks so that the captain and stoker should do their own thing. Inefficient, heavy, and destabilising. Other than that it seems like a great idea.    

All that said, I'd love to ride one just to see.

Edit: Obviously I know how a regular tandem works, all bicycles have just the normal crank and a freewheel or fixed gear at the back. This is actually the first time I've seen or heard of a freewheel in a crank. 

Edited by TNT1

Both the timing rings have freewheels on them so pilot and stoker can pedal independently.

Grade A brainfart. As OP says, just bin it.