Cannondale Stems

Omicrom

Hi to all , not sure how the poll works but here it goes:

I am a 3D designer/ modeler, I designed a Cannondale drop stem that is shorter than conventional stems and drops more and I would love to get some opinions. (find attached pictures)

The manufacturing cost of the stem came out a lot more  than I hoped for.

So what would you pay for such a stem and do you feel there is a need for stems like these?

Also if any body can do CNC work can you please contact me.

Thanks for your time.

post-101195-0-07584800-1476723928_thumb.jpg

post-101195-0-66666700-1476724008_thumb.jpg

post-101195-0-02087500-1476724019_thumb.jpg

post-101195-0-77901000-1476724035_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like the design, and would probably use one; but don't know if production costs would be viable.

Are you planning on machining from a solid aluminum billet?

Have a look at the Leonardi range of stems for the Cannondale. This will give you an idea of price as well. Albeit they are quite expensive. Also bear in mind that since 2016 model range the stems are different than the older OPi systems.

Yes I am planning on milling it from a solid block of Aluminium 6083 T6.

Weight will be around 200 grams if calculations are correct.

The problem is Milling one at a time is very expensive so If there is enough interest I can do a bulk order and that would lower the manufacturing cost significantly.

So any suggestions are more than welcome.

Have a look at the Leonardi range of stems for the Cannondale. This will give you an idea of price as well. Albeit they are quite expensive. Also bear in mind that since 2016 model range the stems are different than the older OPi systems.

I did look at Leonardi , I wanted to sell my stems at around R800 , but because my current order is so small it will cost me 4x that just to get one made.

I like the design, might use one depending on price obviously.

What about 3D printing as an option?  Not strong enough?

Stems are actually such a personal item. Length. Angles. Colour. All these will have an influence. As soon as you go close to R2000 they become expensive. My opinion.

The model above is 3d printed. I just made it to check the fit on the bike.

I did screw some bolts in a bit later , it was a lot stronger than I anticipated , except for the area around the headtube. With the current design it will not be usable as  3d printed stem.

maybe if I make it a bit thicker and look at something like carbon reinforced nylon , it will be But i don't know of any body that can print Carbon reinforced nylon.

Carbon would be sweet if you could find someone that could do it.  Wonder what the weight diff between carbon and aluminium would be?  Second prize would be a black aluminium version.

Nice design!  Fusion 360?

Hope used to make some great 'dale XC options, last time I got it was from the USA, I struggled to find them though.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am working on a Carbon design, It will look more like a conventional stem because the shape posted above would be difficult to mould.

At this stage with the aluminium milling quotes I got it seems the Carbon would be cheaper.

Regarding the weight: Carbon is approximately 70% of the weight of aluminium by volume.

Archived