Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

Hopefully lucky number 700!  

This really is a midlife crisis sport or the youngsters just can't handle it.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So seems I am the eldest here (so far).... unless some AWA older. Don't let the old man beat you... although that is very unlikely

If it makes you feel better, we racing in the same age group... I am just with an AWA number :)

For all those driving down, be safe on the roads and see you in the starting pens come race day if not before!!

If it makes you feel better, we racing in the same age group... I am just with an AWA number :)

For all those driving down, be safe on the roads and see you in the starting pens come race day if not before!!

Aaaah the AWA status.  Making us all feel important.  They can keep their AWA status, I just want s lot for 70.3 worlds please....

I assume to realistically stand a chance you would have to break 10 hours in PE?  (Age group 35 - 40)

Aaaah the AWA status.  Making us all feel important.  They can keep their AWA status, I just want s lot for 70.3 worlds please....

I assume to realistically stand a chance you would have to break 10 hours in PE?  (Age group 35 - 40)

Apart from bike racking at EL (and presume PE) I did not feel important or anything special or different to any other races have done!!

70.3 Worlds would be nice... maybe they will be highlighting and stating the criteria at race briefing

Apart from bike racking at EL (and presume PE) I did not feel important or anything special or different to any other races have done!!

70.3 Worlds would be nice... maybe they will be highlighting and stating the criteria at race briefing

I think the problem is that initially the AWA status was a very elite and selective status.  Now days its so watered down as half the field is supposedly AWA.  The queue at the normal athlete line is shorter than the AWA at registration!

Last year I did 12h15 and it got me AWA top 10% apparently.  I can tell you now 12h15 in my age group will maybe net me a top 40% at best.

Its marketing.  It makes you feel special so you enter another IM brand race.  The triathlon market is heating up.  In Europe "Challenge" group has a major market share and they continue to grow.  The whole AWA was not really meant for us but Europe................

I think the problem is that initially the AWA status was a very elite and selective status.  Now days its so watered down as half the field is supposedly AWA.  The queue at the normal athlete line is shorter than the AWA at registration!

Last year I did 12h15 and it got me AWA top 10% apparently.  I can tell you now 12h15 in my age group will maybe net me a top 40% at best.

Its marketing.  It makes you feel special so you enter another IM brand race.  The triathlon market is heating up.  In Europe "Challenge" group has a major market share and they continue to grow.  The whole AWA was not really meant for us but Europe................

Will also add under marketing that as an AWA you could buy special branded kit (shirts/t-shirts/towels/cycling and tri kit etc with AWA branding)... and supposedly only available for AWA athletes... I see now on the Ironman online shop and in FB ads and emails that AWA is available to anyone with the cash to spend....

Will also add under marketing that as an AWA you could buy special branded kit (shirts/t-shirts/towels/cycling and tri kit etc with AWA branding)... and supposedly only available for AWA athletes... I see now on the Ironman online shop and in FB ads and emails that AWA is available to anyone with the cash to spend....

you could buy ............. nuff said

To be honest the stuff is all overpriced.  A normal run visor will cost R350 when it has an IM logo on it but that very same cap is R130 at sportsmans without the logo.

Fortunately for IM us triathletes always like to remind everyone around us that we are "ironmen" so we actually buy it. 

Weather looks incredible.

Windguru currently have 5km winds with massive gusts of up to 6km per hour!!!  So it is a go for the disc wheel

Weather looks incredible.

Windguru currently have 5km winds with massive gusts of up to 6km per hour!!!  So it is a go for the disc wheel

You can at least triple that with all the huffing and puffing that will come from my lungs...

Interesting that there is such a large foreign contingent racing, out of 2075 entries, 793 or 38% are foreigners! 

So seems I am the eldest here (so far).... unless some AWA older. Don't let the old man beat you... although that is very unlikely

#1739,  Snap! ICM. In the: 50 to Death Age Group, that being said I am still 49, so turning 50 only later this year-just saying.

#1739 The oldest hubber- sorry ICM. Will be in the: 50 to Death Age Group, that being said I am still 49, so turning 50 only later this year-just saying.

Sorry Wheelsuck, you a laaitie then ;)   51 years young :)

Interesting that there is such a large foreign contingent racing, out of 2075 entries, 793 or 38% are foreigners! 

The weak Rand makes it cheap for the foreign contingent.

Archived