A Hardtail for Hard Times

Mintman

Awesome, I just sealed the deal for 11k on the 2014 Zaskar Elite. It's had the tubeless conversion done. Looks kind of messy. Wondering whether that is the right route. Perhaps that belongs in another thread. Going to take it in for a service and hopefully won't find any major issues. 

well done that's a decent bike with a good air fork and decent wheels and nice components for a nice price

tubeless once you get used to what it does for you is def the way forward(almost no mess once its done)

find a bike shop and blow a little money on a pro bike fit as well as a service

a pro bike fit will save you lots of pain (ass/back) and lots of money otherwise wasted on padded saddles ,shorts and gloves etc further down the road

cycle safe :thumbup:

I agree on resale.

Don't even consider resale.

One rule of thumb in any two wheel sport.

You never never sell your first bike!!!

You upgrade components on it but you never sell it.

I agree on resale.

Don't even consider resale.

One rule of thumb in any two wheel sport.

You never never sell your first bike!!!

You upgrade components on it but you never sell it.

Hey, shhhhhh, how else are we going to pick up bargains!?

I have had a GT Zaskar HT for the last few years. I have loved it. You will find the aggressive, and stiff, geometry of the frame well orientated towards commuting and climbing when on the trails. Just careful, it can be a little 'twitchy' on the downhills for exactly the same reasons... but once you're used to that, you start to enjoy the agility of the bike on the trails.

Also, its a good frame on which to upgrade components gradually (if you feel the need to).

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a GT Zaskar HT for the last few years. I have loved it. You will find the aggressive, and stiff, geometry of the frame well orientated towards commuting and climbing when on the trails. Just careful, it can be a little 'twitchy' on the downhills for exactly the same reasons... but once you're used to that, you start to enjoy the agility of the bike on the trails.

Also, its a good frame on which to upgrade components gradually (if you feel the need to).

Enjoy

I'm definitely starting to appreciate the points you made. The climbs are great but the downhill is feeling a bit hair raising. I don't have any issues with the back wheel. But I find the front wheel tends to want to turn too sharply. It sort of leads you into it. I don't know whether this is just a general thing or related to this frame in particular. What is your experience with this bike compared to others? 

It also feels kind of glued to the floor on downhills because of the angle (as you said). I'm just curious whether you've been able to get off the ground with hops etc. Do you feel that it can be agile and fun to ride downhill given time? Just kind of looking for your take on it, given that you know what it's capable of.

Anyone else with this bike or comments are more than welcome. I have a lot to learn!

Cheers :)

Archived